Sorry, another whipped Shea question..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FitMommyOf2

Reaction score
Ok, my first # of Shea Butter came today and I'm really eager to try myself now on a small batch of whipped Shea *drum roll* :lol:
Now, my question is this: I read in previous posts about ice baths.. But what are the very first steps I have to do?
I take a bit of the Shea and what? Melt it in the microwave? :oops:
After that I add the oil (I got Almond oil) and whip it together with a hand mixer? (No Kitchen Aid tools here..)

Reason I'm asking is because I found this following instruction for whipped Shea when I googled (nothing else came up, WTH!? :roll: )

Whipped Shea
Submitted by: Jodi
http://www.soapnmore.com

Ingredients:
1 ounce Shea Butter
0.5 oz "light" oil

Directions
Ok, this is really easy. Melt the two together and whip like crazy for about two minutes. I used as hand whisk.
Put the mixture into the freezer for about 4 minutes. (The original recipe I got called for 5 minutes, but I found that to be too long) Pull it out of the freezer and whip again for another two minutes. Continue doing this as many times as it takes to turn the mixture into a frosting like consistancy. It took me four rounds.

You can use any kind of oil you want, really. Right now, I'm using Unrefined Avocado Oil with an herbal infusion that I "created" that really helps my excema. I may in the future, switch to Flax Seed Oil or Evening Primrose, or who knows??? The opportunities are endless!!!

Please somebody help me! :D
Thanks in advance!

Yep you can melt the Shea in the microwave or on the stove. then when it is completely melted, put the bowl or whatever you melted it in, in a big bowl of ice water and whip the poop out of it :)

OMG, update! I'm in LOOOOVE!!! :lol: Seriously, why did nobody tell me before how great it is to make your own whipped Shea butter!!! WOW!!!
I think I've found my new addiction! :D Now I only need to sell enough soap so I can get more Shea and also some containers in order for me to sell those 'bad butters'! :lol:

:wink:

Hey, do you happen to know a good yet cheap place where I could get trial sized tubs (you know those tiny ones that take 0.5 oz or something) as well as bigger ones for let's say 2oz, 4oz etc.
Since you're always the great research queen for great prices, I thought I'd ask ya! :D

OT: Did I read it correctly that you too stopped smoking? If so, WTG!!! For me (and Hubby) it's been 2 months now! Woohoo! :lol:

i love whipped shea butter, but i guess i call it body butter, because I like the benefits of mango butter, so i use half unrefined shea butter and half mango butter in my recipes.

But it's just a wee bit greasy for me, so i fooled around and came up with a bit of an emulsified version which is pretty similar to what bath and body works sells. But still has very high amounts of my butters. And I also add cornstarch to cut down on the greasy feeling.

And it's just dreamy.......

*sigh*

Here is a little bit on mango butter, so you can see why i like it.

Mango butter has natural emollient properties, high oxidative ability, wound healing, and regenerative activity. It has a protective effect against UV radiation. Mango butter will provide improvements and benefits in all the conditions listed below.

As you use this butter you are likely to discover additional uses.

Dermatologists often recommend mango butter for treatment of wrinkles, as most people who use it will notice decreased signs of aging and the disappearance of lines and wrinkles within 4 to 6 weeks of daily use.

Reasons to use Mango butter

- Effectively treats dry skin
- Heals skin rash
- Heals skin peeling, after tanning
- Clears blemishes and wrinkles
- Relieves itching skin
- Heals sunburn
- Shaving cream for a smooth shave
- Treats small skin wounds and skin cracks
- Moisturizes and smoothes tough or rough skin
- Fights frost bite
- Prevents stretch marks during pregnancy
- Relieves insect bites
- Promotes healthy rejuvenated skin
- Heals muscle fatigue, aches and tension
- Relieves skin allergies such as poison ivy or poison oak
- Treats eczema and dermatitis
- Fights off fine lines and wrinkle

But I also only buy the unrefined shea butter because of it's skin healing properties because the refined and ultra refined just don't have those same qualities. It's a little more expeneive but I figure if i'm spending money on Shea Butter I want to get the most of it.

Oh wow, thanks for all the info!
I had no clue -not even about the differences in the Shea butters... :oops:

Do you happen to have an online store where you sell your Mango/Shea butter concoction by any chance? I'd love to try a small batch! :wink:

In my opinion- While the unrefined shea is fab- the ultra refined as long as it is steam distilled- doesn't really lose it's properties. Alcohols and solvents do this I believe- so ultra refined without these yucky things are great. I like white butter as a personal preference!

Unrefined in whipped shea at least when I whipped with it seemed gritty- but maybe it was just me. Was it just me does your seem gritty?

leansoapqueen said:
In my opinion- While the unrefined shea is fab- the ultra refined as long as it is steam distilled- doesn't really lose it's properties. Alcohols and solvents do this I believe- so ultra refined without these yucky things are great. I like white butter as a personal preference!

Unrefined in whipped shea at least when I whipped with it seemed gritty- but maybe it was just me. Was it just me does your seem gritty?

In my research on shea butter I have never read anything to support the fact that the ultra refined shea butter does retain any of the skin healing properties. Only to the fact that it loses them, because of the process it has to go through to become refined. Whatever the process is, because yes there are several, but they all have the down side of losing those skin healing properties. Which is why it's cheaper.

I guess personally I don't get into the color issue of my butter, I'd rather have the skin healing properties of that butter.

http://www.agbangakarite.com/

Only pure, unrefined shea butter has the true healing and moisturizing properties of shea butter. Most shea butter available to the general public outside West Africa is white and odorless, in other words it has been "refined" to remove the natural scent and color of natural shea butter. In the process, the majority of the effective agents are also removed. In addition, refined shea butter has usually been extracted from the shea kernels with hexane or other petroleum solvents. The extracted oil is boiled to drive off the toxic solvents, and then refined, bleached, and deodorized, which involves heating it to over 400¡F and the use of harsh chemicals, such as sodium hydroxide. Shea butter extracted in this manner still contains some undesirable solvent residues, and its healing values are significantly reduced. Antioxidants or preservatives such as BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) or BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) may be added as well. The end result is an odorless, white butter that may be aesthetically appealing, but lacks the true moisturizing, healing, and nutritive properties of true traditional shea butter. In addition, refined shea butter is often hard and grainy, not smooth and creamy like pure, unrefined shea butter. All that can be said for refined shea butter is that it has an extended shelf life, a white, uniform color, and no odor.

I think that is a big misconception among people, that they think the refined and ultra refined shea butter do retain those properties, but sadly the fact is they just don't.

I buy mine on ebay i guess. I haven't really looked for a web site to buy it from directly. :( Both the unrefined shea butter and the mango butter. If you would like me to share the seller that I have bought from I'll share.

I haven't noticed any grittiness to any of my butters that I've whipped. Nor do i really consider the odor bothersome.

My ultra has changed my skin it's off of Ebay too! But out of curiousity, who's your Ebay person for shea- I'll give it another whirl- it may have been the butter I got. Thanks for the info..

I get lots on Ebay too! Great deal- but I think for personal stuff I'm switching to Etsy! :) Supplies though most of the time -Ebay is good! :)

If you want or have time pm me with your fave ebay store for butter! :)
Thanks!

brb I'll get the links to their stores, I have bought from two sellers and was quite please.

I bought from two people because of the other items I also purchased and got a great deal on shipping both times for all the items I purchased.

ok brb with that info.....

the unrefined tends to be spendy, but I really do think it's worth it, just because of the benefits......

After all I'm going to be 29 AGAIN this april for the 7th year in a row this year......

Back