Sometimes you just get lucky

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the soap I made yesterday that I was expecting to be REALLY bad. What a pleasant surprise in a "modern art" sort of way.

image.jpg

What is the scent? It looks beachy to me...coconut and sand :)

Bay Rum. I was pessimistic because I used two new natural colorants, goldenseal and alfalfa, plus a new, thicker hanger that I bent yesterday. That's a lot of new things at one time. When I poured it into the mold it layered ok, but when I swirled it, it looked like all the layers were blending into a dirty-diaper soup. I couldn't do much with the top because I ran short of white soap, so I kept pulling the goldenseal layer to the top every time I put a spoon in it.

Well, I will say my first hanger/butterfly swirl was crummy. I used a thin wire hanger. Then I read some put a straw onto it to thinken it. I unraveled it, cut a straw to fit, slid it down, and rebent it. My second attempt was "better" in that it swirled thicker and nicer. My technique is awful, however. The hanger is not my friend lol. So point, thicker produces better swirls than thin, I've found. So good call on the thicker one!

It looks really looks wonderful!!

Love that dark green and it's contrast!

The dark green blob/glob/whatever is alfalfa. I received it as an add-on to an order as a customer reward from WSP with no idea what to do with it. The khaki color is from goldenseal powder. Not sure if they will fade like a lot of natural colorants, but I feel like a regular republican hippie. Peace man!

Latest posts

Back