Something went Wrong - See the pics !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saqqa

Reaction score
20191119_214043.jpg 20191119_212634.jpg
20191119_214043.jpg
20191119_212634.jpg

Hey people!
After 48hrs when un-molding as you can see, the soaps came out de-shaped, can see yellowish colour on top and soft.
Recipe was as follows-
Olive oil pomace 180gr
Palm kernel 120gr
Lye 43
Water 114
Superfat 5%
Water % of oil- 38%

After mixing and getting trace, i mixed powder colour abit and scant than remixed it again with hand manually.

Attachments

• 20191119_214032.jpg
    20191119_214032.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 8
I'm unsure - but I think you could do with less water in that recipe. Generally, the suggestion is NOT to use the 'water as a percentage of oils' setting in soap calc, even though it is the default setting. I would be more inclined to use the 'lye concentration' setting, and set that to about 35%. That will reduce your water mount in the recipe. I think your recipe was too soft to cut/unmold and that your colour wasn't mixed in sufficiently.

I'm unsure - but I think you could do with less water in that recipe. Generally, the suggestion is NOT to use the 'water as a percentage of oils' setting in soap calc, even though it is the default setting. I would be more inclined to use the 'lye concentration' setting, and set that to about 35%. That will reduce your water mount in the recipe. I think your recipe was too soft to cut/unmold and that your colour wasn't mixed in sufficiently.
Yes your right KiwiMoose, last batch I used 33% lye concentration, and he seemed fine. The only issue, i did zap test and felt abit of lye on the sides of the soap.. Maybe it hasnt cured thats why?...

I can't tell if it was too thick and so went into the mold unevenly, or if it was too soft when you un molded and you mushed it as you were unmolding?
Actually after I mixed it, it was quite thick before pouring into the molds.. As I mixed the colour and fregrance after mixing. So I just mixed again manually, and poured... Maybe that was the reason ?

Makes great chrysocolla gem soap tho!
Thats something new :) .... Because of the colours or ... lol

Very useful website dixiedragon

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the yellowish is oily.
Whats the cause of being separated ?

Back