Something weird

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
857219CB-2E8C-4104-AA93-87EA0F27C703.jpeg
171694A4-4F5C-4FE2-96B3-C7C979D35C0C.jpeg

Not sure what happened with the green parts but it looks kind of cool? I only spoon stirred the mica in and the soap started to rice just as I was pouring it (ginger lime, always rices for me!) so I'm not sure what exactly caused the spotty coloring. I don't dislike it though!

I do think it might be glycerin rivers, maybe just starting? I used my lard recipe but just subbed in Great Value shortening (with tallow) without checking it on soap calc first so.... who knows what happened! haha! It's kind of cool though. Definitely interesting!

I do think it might be glycerin rivers, maybe just starting? I used my lard recipe but just subbed in Great Value shortening (with tallow) without checking it on soap calc first so.... who knows what happened! haha! It's kind of cool though. Definitely interesting!

If I remember right, lard and gv shortening are nearly the same sap so the lye doesn't need adjusted.
I really like the shortening, wish my local walmart still carried it

Yes I just went and did the calculations on SMF. Everything is the same, oils/water/lye amounts wise. I'm looking forward to trying this soap after reading all the posts about people liking the GV shortening.

Yes I just went and did the calculations on SMF. Everything is the same, oils/water/lye amounts wise. I'm looking forward to trying this soap after reading all the posts about people liking the GV shortening.
I’m glad I’m following this post, I would love to see how you like it as well. When I started making soap I first used a recipe with tallow and absolutely loved it! But store bought is so expensive! I’m not ready to start rendering my own! I do love my lard soap as well, but if I could have both with the GV shortening would be awesome too!

Latest posts

Back