Something Simple

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been in the mood for simple things lately.

Salt & Pepper Salt Bar using MO Velvet Peppercorn with ground poppyseeds:

IMG_0298_zps77ajl7vg.jpg

Beer Soap using BB Honey Ale with a smidgen of white unscented. No colorant was used on the main portion. That FO accelerated on me so my intended spoon swirl turned into a plop-hardening-batter-and-jiggle very liquid white portion into the crevices. I actually like the end result though.

IMG_0301_zpsmf8ckrl1.jpg

I love the Salt & Pepper name you gave the salt bars ~ that's exactly what it looks like! The wispy white in the 2nd one is so elegant and calming. Using that one in the shower would have the immediate effect of lowering my stress level. Beautiful work! :thumbup:

ETA: I just made beer soap yesterday with Honey Ale too, lol. I added a bit of Lemon Verbena so I've got a sweet citrus scent. It's not nearly as pretty as yours!

Last edited:
I love the wispy white bits in your beer soap. It looks just like you've poured a bottle of beer and bubbles are whooshing their way to the top!

These both look great I've not heard of beer soap I really must look into this one

They are bubble machines, but they do require a few extra precautions since alcohol + carbonation + lye wants to volcano.

I like to reduce my beer volume by half over a low simmer - trying to knock out all carbonation. Then I freeze into cubes and combine with distilled water cubes so I'm back at a full beer replacement.

Beer cubes get put into a container in the sink inside of an ice bath (just in case anything tries to overheat or overrun my container). Add lye very slowly and make sure the first bit of lye is dissolved before adding in the next bit of lye. Doing it slowly controls the heat. I strain my lye solution just to make sure everything dissolved fully since I cannot see into it.

Once everything has settled down, it's soaping as usual. I do refrigerate my batch and avoid adding anything else with sugars.

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Latest posts

Back