Something odd happened two weeks ago

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat_pro

Reaction score
Ok so most of the time I'm a lurk on here, but I had something odd happen and figured I'd see if any one knows what happened.

OK so I have been rtcp soaping again for a year now and this was my first Goats milk, Honey, Oat soap. I have just been too nervious to waste any matterials since I am on a serious buget.

So I weighed everything out and everything was going great. (I followed pauls way of adding goats milk) I got everything to trace and added the goats milk, honey and oats and mixed it all together and poured it into the mold. This is were everything goes wrong. I had poured it at heavery trace and looking at it after it looked like verylight trace. I was kinda curious so I used my wooden spoon and swired it a few times and it all seemed to seperate slightly. I panicked and hit it with my stick blender in the mold and everything came appart it was compleatly seperated oats on the botom layer with what I think was the honey then curdeled goats milk and finaly clear oils. it seemed the more I mixed the more everything seperated into these layers and nothing was mixing back in. after about 20 minutes I called in my husband as a Kitten Love look what happened. Well he almost got sick goin into the room he said I had to throw the thing out before he threwup beacuse the smell was so bad. Now I couldn't smell anything but that could be because I was in the room the whole time. But I threw it out any ways cause I realy didn't want to clean up hurl ontop on my soaping mess, lol.

The only thing I can think of now after two weeks of looking and serching was that everything wasn't quite room temp and some how I was twards a HP batch. I have not done Hp yet because I have enjoyed sucess with rtcp.

If any one has any info that would be great. I would like to try Goats milk again but am curious what happened so that I don't do it again.

Thank you Sarah!

I have had this happen with honey soaps before - separation. If it happens again - put all of it back into a stainless pot and put the whole mess into the oven @ 170 F. Let it cook with an occasional stir until it all mixes back together and stays that way. At that point put it back into your mold.

HTH
Lindy

Yep, what Lindy said!! I have had a few batches separate and I did just that and they were fine!

You can only learn from experience Kit Kat, how do you think the others that posted the help got that info in the first place?
Good luck to you, I bet the next batch will be better.
We all have a few doozies.

That it so true Chrissy. And to think last year this time I made 3 killer batcher of soap to be followed by 2 very terrible lye calculation miss haps. One a very rock hard soap, lol, looked lovely bud it broke my plate when I dropped the soap on in. And a very very oily soap that leached for the month I was in Greece (of course my husband just left it there) and I came back to a spongy soap and a puddle of oil on my table. So it's true I have learned alot this last year and I will continue to learn from my own and other people's mistakes. But that is life isn't it we try and learn and grow.

Any ways thanks you all again for your help and kind words, perhaps I wont be such a lerk from here on in, lol.

Latest posts

Back