Something Different Guidance Requested

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Munson

Reaction score
I have been making this amazing cleaner for several years. Originally as a hand cleaner but found it does an incredible job on anything that can be cleaned using water. It only takes a rounded 1/4 tsp to clean the dirtiest mechanic hands. As a result it requires a lot of water when it's being used.

Right now it is a bit inconvenient to use out of an open top container. I have tried thinning it for squeeze bottle use but the shelf life before it won't squeeze out is too short. Pre-mix it with water and it turns into concrete.

My request for guidance is: I would love to make this into a bar. It does have a small amount of detergent but only a small amount.

This is an amazingly helpful site. I have lye, lard, coconut oil, olive oil etc. whatever I need, just need someone to point me in the right direction of making an existing cleaner into a bar.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• New Batch.jpg
    New Batch.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 72
  • rounded quarter tsp..jpg
    rounded quarter tsp..jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 66
So the answer to this question is solely based on your "secret" ingredient that is formulated by an outside source. All the other ingredients such as the lye , lard , coconut oil , etc can be used to make bar soap. And what jumps out at me is this question: : "Have you made soap from scratch before" ? There are more factors that makes this [your product] interesting to trouble shoot , i.e , using a lot of water when being used tells me that it is heavily concentrated and needs to dilute properly , plus that it hardens like concrete when mixed with water.
so i would say unless you roughly state what the other additives are it would be a guess on every ones part // me personally i would say yes you may be able to make a cleaning bar , you just got to find a way to incorporate the secret [active] ingredient .

I don't know the ingredients. Maybe this will help it's a concentrated industrial dish washing detergent. They formulated it for me because it was gassing off unpleasant smells the first few times I mixed it up.

I'm not trying to be evasive.

I have not made soap from scratch before. The reason I am here for guidance and share the experience once successful.

Last edited:
Since it is liquid I would make a small test batch, by using a 50/50 lye solution and the liquid detergent as the balance of the required liquid for your soap. I am also thinking you have not made bar soap before so I would read through the beginners forum and practice making bar soap first. As for the pumice, your should know the percentage of pumice you use in your product, so you could add in the same percentage in your bar soap. Do make a small batch for testing.

That is helpful. My never before having made soap mind was thinking using my cleaner already mixed up and making a bar soap from it.

Sounds like I need to make a multiple step process with it not already mixed.

Without knowing what's in the product you will also have an issue with labeling if you can even get it into a bar of soap. As Carolyn stated you can try a 50/50 solutions and add the detergent separately.

First, highly recommend learning how to make soap first without any strange additives.

This is the place to learn the first step. Also recommend watching Soaping 101 on youtube.

I have the SDS sheet for the detergent but all of those chemical names probably won't help you help me. But will help with the labeling. I have been making this cleaner for probably 6 years and the bar is the next step in the evolution.

Last edited:
I think you came here looking for an extra ingredient or something you could add to your existing mix to make it in to a solid bar. Like a “solidifier”, right? I dont think that exist, but I dont know. What people are proposing is to learn how to make a bar of soap (using lye and the oils of your choice) and based on that add the additives of your existing formula, in efect making a different thing based on somethig you have.

Exactly. Even before you spoke up Alfa I had decided to make a coconut oil soap and see how much of my cleaner I can get away with adding to it and it still remain a bar. Experiment coming up. 50/50 and 1/1

One ingredient is provided by another company.

I doubt people are making their own lye and olive oil but claim they make their soap.

yes there are those here who make their own lye [water] called potash and rendered lard , tallow , lanolin and so on .

What people are proposing is to learn how to make a bar of soap (using lye and the oils of your choice).

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I was suggesting that a solution might be to look into making a syndet bar -- a detergent. if you have a list of ingredients for the cleanser base, with some research and trial and error, you might be able to make a bar with those ingredients. Now, I have never made such a thing, but many many people here have.

I don't know the ingredients. Maybe this will help it's a concentrated industrial dish washing detergent. They formulated it for me because it was gassing off unpleasant smells the first few times I mixed it up.

I'm not trying to be evasive.

I have not made soap from scratch before. The reason I am here for guidance and share the experience once successful.

I have the SDS sheet for the detergent but all of those chemical names probably won't help you help me. But will help with the labeling. I have been making this cleaner for probably 6 years and the bar is the next step in the evolution.

I agree with cmzaha in a general sense (adding the detergent as part of the liquid during soap manufacture) ... as a technique this would be the first thing I would try (if I were in your shoes).

The concern I am going to offer you is that if you are already experiencing off-gassing (unpleasant smells) while mixing it yourself, you may find that it is far worse when you start adding sodium hydroxide to the equation (which is highly reactive in its own right).

So ... the SDS list of chemicals may be more important than you think - you will need to check for unwanted reactions and byproducts (including gases). If you don't want to list it here, that's fine, but check back with the chemical supplier and ask then if it's safe to mix with sodium hydroxide (they'll probably figure out what you are doing, but better safe than sorry).

Back