Somebody stop me!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
I did it again. More bread. This is too much bread for one person. I'm going to have to start handing it out to my neighbors. This time I tried a recipe from Youtube. I baked it in my cast iron skillet. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0t8ZAhb8lQ[/ame] It's just wrong for bread to be this easy!

bread.jpg

Please. Stop.

You see, every time you post pictures and/or recipes, I am compelled to forward them to my husband with a loving note that explains how much happier our household would be if we had such baked wonder in it, now can you please be a dear and hop to?

(ok, please don't stop posting, because your creations are so incredible to look at!)

I love the Dutch oven bread, it really is so easy. You could come to my house and bake bread to your heart's content. Just trying to help you out

If I had a drone, I'd airlift you a loaf!

I've heard of this but haven't tried it! OMG that looks amazeballs.

It is!

If cooking bread so easily is wrong, I don't want to be right.
It looks so yummy!

IrishLass

You need to try some. :-D

Please. Stop.

You see, every time you post pictures and/or recipes, I am compelled to forward them to my husband with a loving note that explains how much happier our household would be if we had such baked wonder in it, now can you please be a dear and hop to?

(ok, please don't stop posting, because your creations are so incredible to look at!)

Happy to be an enabler! :twisted:

Navigator it is cruel, I am low carbs and I do not eat bread anymore, it is difficult cause I make my own. The white bread in dutch oven I always made for special occasion :( how to make it and not to eat it?

Oh yeah. I'm making that!! I used to do the artisan one where you made a huge quantity of dough and let it sit in the fridge using just a bit everyday to make a loaf but something happened and it no longer works. My fridge is dying or something. Or I just lost my touch. Making it all in one go seems easy though! YUM

Oh yeah. I'm making that!! I used to do the artisan one where you made a huge quantity of dough and let it sit in the fridge using just a bit everyday to make a loaf but something happened and it no longer works. My fridge is dying or something. Or I just lost my touch. Making it all in one go seems easy though! YUM

My first loaf was fine, the second a complete flop. I am going to make this recipe and just do one at the time.

navigator9-I think my hubby loves you. I bake bread when you do this, you see.

You can make this on a camping fire too. Bit tricky to get it looking as perfect as yours but out camping you are generally more forgiving!

Yours looks gorgeous!!!

Last edited:
Well Navigator, keep them coming! I blamed round 2 on you after the fact. I have to admit yours looks even better. Mine were overprooofed by the time I got to baking them. We have a diabetic friend visiting. I had to make them healthy and drop the glycemic index. Thankfully for me, we had our monthly neighborhood get together. I was able to share some of the bread I baked this week with my neighbors. I only have enough for one more loaf in the refrigerator. Time for a break after that.

Round2b.jpg

Navigator it is cruel, I am low carbs and I do not eat bread anymore, it is difficult cause I make my own. The white bread in dutch oven I always made for special occasion how to make it and not to eat it?

I know...I should be low carb, at least not whole loaf of bread carbs. I need to stop experimenting with all of these great recipes, because like you say, it's impossible to make it and not eat it!

Why, thank you, I don't mind if I do. When should I expect it?

I'll airlift you a loaf too...look to the skies! :D

IrishLass :)

I've done the sit in the fridge one too, I can't remember any problems. Oh yes, one problem...I ate it all! LOL

Yum. I wish I lived near you.

I wish you all lived nearby! We could have a homemade bread fest!!! :crazy:

Well Navigator, keep them coming! I blamed round 2 on you after the fact. I have to admit yours looks even better. Mine were overprooofed by the time I got to baking them. We have a diabetic friend visiting. I had to make them healthy and drop the glycemic index. Thankfully for me, we had our monthly neighborhood get together. I was able to share some of the bread I baked this week with my neighbors. I only have enough for one more loaf in the refrigerator. Time for a break after that.

OMG are you kidding, those are beautiful! I love the one with the seeds...are they caraway? I love caraway seeds. Note to self..."Get seeds for bread." You are an enabler too!

My first loaf was fine, the second a complete flop. I am going to make this recipe and just do one at the time.

navigator9-I think my hubby loves you. I bake bread when you do this, you see.

Ahh, I think it's the bread he loves, but happy to provide some inspiration. :-D

What recipe did you use to drop the glycemic index?

The bread with the seeds is the lower glycemic index bread. It's mostly oat bran, cooked triticale berries, corn resistant starch (not to be confused with cornstarch), flaxseeds soaked in water, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, wheat germ and extra gluten. There is some white bread flour in there too but at least half of it is other stuff. The corn resistant starch forms a soluble fiber that slows down the digestion and the release of sugar. The added whole seeds and grain are also slower to digest and come with their own soluble and insoluble fiber. I know "loaded" breads work well for our diabetic friends based on their feedback. The only thing is you need to make sure to drink extra water with it. Even the white bread in the picture has a quarter of the flour substituted with the resistant starch. It ends up a high fiber white bread.

I didn't use a recipe. I bake by feel most of the time. The origins of the method I used is in Tartine #3 baking book. You make the dough without the berries and seeds and you work them in during the rise. It's very easy and very forgiving. I use the Saf yeast which seems to work very well with loaded breads. I buy by the lb and keep it in the freezer. Here is a link for the book:https://www.amazon.com/dp/1452114307/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. The book is worth checking out of the library if you like to bake. I keep all sorts of fibers (corn, rice, wheat, oat) in the refrigerator and all sorts of whole grains that I cook as needed and rotate them all in the bread.

If you like, I can measure everything the next time I make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG are you kidding, those are beautiful! I love the one with the seeds...are they caraway? I love caraway seeds. Note to self..."Get seeds for bread." You are an enabler too!

No caraway. I made a list of ingredients in the other post. I have to admit, I love my whole grain bread but yours will disappear in under 10 minutes if I got my hands on it! I really didn't mean to hijack your thread but I love bread.

That looks incredible. I've been wanting to try and bake some but am confused about the flour. I've read you definitely need bread flour and then have read all purpose flour is just fine which I have almost 10 lbs of so I need to research more before I attempt it

Latest posts

Back