Somebody help me to make clear organic liquid soap please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkboxs

Reaction score
Somebody help me to create clear organic liquid soap please.

My recipe is

Certified Organic coconut oil
Organic sesame oil
Organic sunflower oil
Potassium Hydroxide Pharmaceutical Grade
Water
Essential oil
Preservative
Alpha-tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E Natural Form)

My procedure is

Open the water bath at 75 Degree Celsius

Add KOH in water then add in the mixture of oil with same temperature at 40-45 Degree Celsius.

Homogenized it until the trace form and can not homogenized anymore

Cover the lid and check the soap paste with stir every half an hour

When the time reach two hours or until the soap paste dry. Put the pot out and then stored in the room temperature and cover the lid.

When soap transparent, dilute with 2 times of DI water.

Get the clear liquid soap

img0788i.jpg

Now is the question

When i add 10% of citric acid solution (Dissolved 10 grams of citric acid powder in 100 ml. of DI water) in clear liquid soap, why it form white solid and make the liquid soap cloud. I think that it's may by substituent with Potassium molecule that had been formed with fatty acid

When i add essential oil, why it make the liquid soap cloud too
I think that it may need solubilizer, but the liquid soap is good solubilizer

When i add vitamin e, why it make the liquid soap cloud too.

I have been make liquid castile soap, Dissolved Bar soap in Water. It not have any effect that cause cloud the liquid soap like essential oil or vitamin e

and i need some answer about the ingredient that cause cloud the liquid soap

And Sorry about my English language skill

Plz help me

I don't use citric acid in my liquid soap. Depending on essential oil or fragrance, I mix it with some polysorbate so the soap doesn't get cloudy.

I try to do liquid soap by Doctor Bronner recipe

Ingredients
Water, Organic Coconut Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide**, Organic Olive Oil*, Mentha Arvensis*, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Peppermint Oil*, Citric Acid, Tocopherol

This recipe added Citric acid and vitamin e too
But liquid soap still clear. I think that may be some of these oil had been used as solubilizer

What the type of polysorbate,, Polysorbate 20, 40, 60, 80

I've used citric acid to drop the pH of liquid soap many times but it's not as easy as just adding it. Once you add it it looks like when you drop egg white into hot water. It curdles immediately. I find that I have to heat gently and stir in order for it to fully incorporate and disolve. Usually a couple of hours of gentle heat/stirring and then letting it sit overnight. Even then I find that I have to pick out some curdled bits before I call the batch done.

It can be a bit tricky.

I am not trying to make crystal clear soap, but I never get solid curdles.

Using vinegar, not citric acid, I add it while blending. The blender causes some foam to form, which eventually goes away.

I am thinking the result would be better if the acid would be more diluted, (which means adding it to half of the water used to dillute the soap paste). But I haven't tried that yet.

My vitamin E contains oils, those obviously make the soap cloudy. Not sure if polysorbates help with that, never used them.

Thank you for all answer,,

I have been try to add glycerin but i forgot to weight it

But it surprise me that it present clear liquid

Now i have been try Polysobate and glycerin too. But it need to heat to dissolve it

////////////////////

I need more answer about ,, How to make the soap paste more quickly transparent ? I think that it need more heat ?

Fragola said:
I am not trying to make crystal clear soap, but I never get solid curdles.

Using vinegar, not citric acid, I add it while blending. The blender causes some foam to form, which eventually goes away.

I am thinking the result would be better if the acid would be more diluted, (which means adding it to half of the water used to dillute the soap paste). But I haven't tried that yet.

My vitamin E contains oils, those obviously make the soap cloudy. Not sure if polysorbates help with that, never used them.

I need more clearly answer please

When do you added vinegar,, At Saponification process or dilute soap paste process
I think that it will interfere the saponification processl If i add in
saponification process,, The unsaponifided fat may remain to separated or
cloud the liquid,, Is this true or not

Yes, it is true. Vinegar is added during diluting. I don't say vinegar is better, but it is easier for me to use.

This is what I do:

1. Mix oils + lye in a double boiler pot.

2. Boil the soap paste for few hours. The soap paste is not very transparent.

3. First dilution.

Add water until it is thinner (maybe like corn syrup). Easier to do if the soap is hot and water is hot.

I keep this liquid for long term storage.

4. Second dilution.
I add more water or herbal tea and vinegar (until pH is 10).

5. Thickening - I add salt water solution until it is thick enough.

I had been use glycerin approximately 20 grams with diluted liquid soap 50 grams with essential oil, preservative and vitamin e. But it still cloud. I don't know why because the last batch that i used glycerin, i forget to weight it.

Can anyone solve this problem please >_< without using glycerin or polysorbate please

May have other ingredient in natural not synthetics, act as solubilizer ?

You will need to use polysorbate 20 or 80 or similar to get your soap to stay clear after adding your essential oils. If you don't want to use that the only thing I can think of is maybe adding a mica to it? But I'm pretty sure mica is synthetic too. So that it looks like it's supposed to be cloudy. I'm only guessing here, I've never tried it.

Citric acid is not a problem for me, I add it while the soap is warm in the crockpot on high and stir briskly for about 10 minutes with a spoon and it disappears.

Hope this helps some :)

Latest posts

Back