Some soapie questions!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seo

Reaction score
Ok, here goes. I have made 3 batches of soap in 3 days (1 lb batches each time) and the first one traced almost immediately and turned out usable, but ugly in it's mold. Second batch turned out perfect! The third batch (made today) traced even quicker than the first and is all goopy in the mold (only been 1 hour, so maybe it will cure?) Anyway- what gives? Used the same recipe each time, only thing different was the fragrance oil. So, can anyone explain? Would be greatly appreciated! ;)

Did you use a differnt fragrance each time? Assorted fragrance can greatly effect trace & your final product! There are lists on the net you can fifnd that list which fragrances from which suppliers are best not used in CP for the reasons you ststed above.

I am sure there are other reasons for why this might have happened but one of our *in house* CP experts will have to come along with more info for you.

Since you state the only difference was the fo, it was more than likely the fo. Some fos are better behaved soap better than others.

Was the FO a floral scented one? Floral scents trace very fast on you. One way of helping is to warm up your FO's and mix in a little oils from the batch. Say you are using .75 ounce of FO in your 1 pound batches, take out about an ounce of your oils and stir the FO and the oils together. Add the mixed FO and oil to the batch at trace. This will help you I think. If you try it, please get back to us and tell us the results you had. I think you will find the results are noticeable!

Paul....:) :wink:

Yes, the are flora scents- all but one. I will try that tip of mixing some oils from the batch into the fo's and then mixing at trace. I'm hoping to make another batch tonight if time allows so I'll report back on the tip! ;)

Thanks so much for the help! It's hard not getting discouraged when things go sour! I wonder how long it will take until I am any good at this!

Back