Some random soaping questions....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth0Mitchell

Reaction score
...what are some legal things that go in hand with making and selling soaps. Like i have a little crafts store and i plan on selling my soap from it. What kinds of things do I have to do. What are some legal things to watch out for.

also....

If i was to handmill some hp/cp tallow soaps...how much EO is recommended for use. Do i still need to use as much as normal?

Also........

Is it ok to use plain patchoulie in soap.... like just normal patchoulie you buy at the store???

one more........

if my recipe calls for 3 cups of tallow...can i replace one cup with coconut oil..or a fat of any kind....or will it screw up my lye calculations.....

any help is mucho appriciated thanks

Seth0Mitchell said:
...what are some legal things that go in hand with making and selling soaps. Like i have a little crafts store and i plan on selling my soap from it. What kinds of things do I have to do. What are some legal things to watch out for.

That depends on where you live - every country has it's own laws and requirements. The first thing you should think about however is insurance, just in case someone has a reaction to one of your soaps and decides to sue.

if my recipe calls for 3 cups of tallow...can i replace one cup with coconut oil..or a fat of any kind....or will it screw up my lye calculations.....

You shouldn't use volume measurements, they are not accurate, especially with solid oils. Measure by weight.

As for replacing tallow with coconut, or any other oil/fat/butter, you can do that but you must run it thru a lye calculator such as www.soapcalc.com as every oil has a different SAP value and the recipe will require a different amount of lye.

Is it ok to use plain patchoulie in soap.... like just normal patchoulie you buy at the store???

Yes, as long as you make sure that it is either a good quality essential oil, or a skin safe fragrance oil. You can't use just average oils that are meant for your oil burner, as they are not meant to be used on the skin and may cause irritation.

As for your question about the amount of EO to add to a rebatched soap, I'm not sure on that one as I don't usually rebatch.

If you haven't already found it, www.millersoap.com is an exellent starting point for new soapers. Take some time to read thru, it will be worth it.

Welcome to the forum :lol:

for SAFETY sake, please read up on making soap before actually doing so. Learn what you can about it, there are plenty of sites if you google them that go through the process step by step. Then when you have questions come back here and ask.

All oils are different and can't be interchanged. They have different qualities. So if you use all soft oils and not lathering oils, you will have a soft mushy bar of soap that doesn't lather.

1) Seth, the first thing you will need to do is go to the FDA website & read up on *soap*, *cosmetics* & when a soap or cosmetic becomes a *drug*.

2) I recomend reading the miller site as well & then see if you are still in question about oils, eo & such.

Not knowng which patchouli & in what form from which store no one can answer that question for you. If you can go in & the sales staff & confirm it is a soap or skin sake fragrance oil (man made) or essential oil (nature made) then the answer is yes. The sales staff *probably* won't know so *maybe* you could fine the words skin safe or soap safe on the labe.

Becky said:
You shouldn't use volume measurements, they are not accurate, especially with solid oils. Measure by weight.

As for replacing tallow with coconut, or any other oil/fat/butter, you can do that but you must run it thru a lye calculator such as www.soapcalc.com as every oil has a different SAP value and the recipe will require a different amount of lye.
faithy said:
for SAFETY sake, please read up on making soap before actually doing so.
All oils are different and can't be interchanged. They have different qualities. So if you use all soft oils and not lathering oils, you will have a soft mushy bar of soap that doesn't lather.

Tabitha said:
1) Seth, the first thing you will need to do is go to the FDA website & read up on *soap*, *cosmetics* & when a soap or cosmetic becomes a *drug*.

2) I recomend reading the miller site as well & then see if you are still in question about oils, eo & such.

Yup, They pretty much summed it up! Welcome!!!

Kathy Miller's site is the "Soap Bible" of soap making. Read, research, study, listen to others who have been doing this for years, all will start you correctly down the successful road called soap making. :D

Paul

Latest posts

Back