Some questions on Rosin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale

Reaction score
Hello, after having made some "simple" bars, I'm thinking about trying with a more complex recipe. Because of my passion for forest and plants, I'm very attracted by Rosin soap and I'd like to give it a try. For now, I'm just thinking and reading about it, so I searched for older threads in this forum and I find many information. But I'd like to ask you something more:
1)I've found an average SAP of about 180 (referred to KOH), is it right?
2) Is using rosin in bar soap worth it? I've read that it increases the detergency and something it could become too drying for a bath soap, but I've also read that it increases hardness, soap life and maybe lather?
3 )While many recipes say that you must heat rosin until it melt and then add it to the oils BEFORE adding lye, I've also found a thread in which is said that you must form sodium rosinate (which I think means react rosin with lye) and then add it to the fats.
This is that thread: Rosin soap

Thank you for any tips

Rosin is Pine Tar and it's generally recommended not use it at more than 5%. There are many threads here for pine tar soap. I'm sure some that have made it will pipe in as well.

Thanks but, just for clarification, when I say rosin I mean colophony, not pine tar. They both derives from the same plant but tar comes from the wood while rosin is the heaviest part of resin, the lightest of which is turpentine.
I've read that both can be use in soap with quite similar process, but their properties are differents.

Thank you very much, I'll read it with more attention as soon as I could obtain some rosin and then I will give it a try.

Back