Some of my Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TheGecko I was not trying to say that the ZCS is not the problem, it very well could be. I didn't want you to think that I was discounting your observation.

No worries. I was just wondering if anyone else had any issues of if it was just me. I plan on testing ZCS with Autumn Harvest (Elements Bath & Body) this weekend. From a previous test I know that it discolors a very dark brown and so I will just make a test batch with just the FO and ZCS to see how it goes.

The soap was a major hit at the retreat. The group was small enough that everyone got a bar of the Lilac and Lavender & Sage. The gal that got the Chocolate Espresso asked if she could use the soap right away and I said yes (it had been just over six weeks). So everyone tried their soaps and everyone loved them...the scent was enough to make for a lovely bathing experience without being overwhelming. Now they all want to order soap...guess I'm going to have to get my website up soon...and make more soap. In the meantime, I sent them links to pick out some scents and will make 'test' size batches for them.

No worries. I was just wondering if anyone else had any issues of if it was just me. I plan on testing ZCS with Autumn Harvest (Elements Bath & Body) this weekend. From a previous test I know that it discolors a very dark brown and so I will just make a test batch with just the FO and ZCS to see how it goes.
As soon as I find my original ZCS test soap, I will post some updated pictures.

Some of my soaps… I’ve been a member for 10 months and never posted my soaps.

Attachments

• F9EFD5C5-143D-4F2E-93CE-0A6DC44BBD02.jpeg
    F9EFD5C5-143D-4F2E-93CE-0A6DC44BBD02.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 17
  • CD1ABEF4-8F8D-49B9-B5E5-D07ECFB62DAB.jpeg
    CD1ABEF4-8F8D-49B9-B5E5-D07ECFB62DAB.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 19
  • C41403BB-8A53-4046-85C0-2F5EB7B3BD2C.jpeg
    C41403BB-8A53-4046-85C0-2F5EB7B3BD2C.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 19
  • D7D3A363-9880-4296-96BF-D630FE28CA02.jpeg
    D7D3A363-9880-4296-96BF-D630FE28CA02.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 18
Some of my soaps… I’ve been a member for 10 months and never posted my soaps.

Only took me over two years to post mine. The Polka Dot Soap is next on my list, just need to figure out how to do it. I have a slab mold that has inserts, just need to figure out the sizing. Or I could just fill a bunch of straws with soap and make embeds and then put them in a loaf mold.

Two new test soaps.

The first is Autumn Harvest (Elements B&B) using ZVCS. I absolutely LOVE this FO had visions of autumn swirls. It turned dark brown...really dark brown and had a horrible chemical smell for several weeks. I was prepared to embrace the brown until @Todd Ziegler came along with his ZVCS. OMG!!! This was 13.5oz Oils, 0.84 oz FO, 0.84 oz ZVCS and it smells divine. I let it sit in the mold for 48 hours, then let it sit another 24 hours before cutting just a short while ago. It slid right out of the mold and is white. Wow.

Autumn Harvest.jpg

Next up is a test batch with custom Dragon's Blood that I got from @cmzaha. I love the FO and since I only have 4lbs of it, it will be for me...only me...all mine. When I took it out of the mold last night it was light cream color...it's starting to turn a brown, but not you would expect. These are the end pieces...the center two are still white.

Dragon's Blood.jpg

The first is Autumn Harvest (Elements B&B) using ZVCS. I absolutely LOVE this FO had visions of autumn swirls. It turned dark brown...really dark brown and had a horrible chemical smell for several weeks. I was prepared to embrace the brown until @Todd Ziegler came along with his ZVCS. OMG!!!
I've never used a vanilla stabilizer, but I'm curious... A YouTube soaper said that she usually doesn't use FO that discolor, because the Stabilizer doesn't last and the soaps eventually turn brown anyways. Do you know if this is true? Have you noticed that the soaps you've used ZVCS in darken over time?
Pretty soaps by the way!!!

I've never used a vanilla stabilizer, but I'm curious... A YouTube soaper said that she usually doesn't use FO that discolor, because the Stabilizer doesn't last and the soaps eventually turn brown anyways. Do you know if this is true? Have you noticed that the soaps you've used ZVCS in darken over time?
Pretty soaps by the way!!!

Thank you. This is the second time I’ve used, but the other soap was made on September 19th and is still holding. Your might ask @Todd Ziegler since it has been several months now for him.

It is now Friday. The Autumn Harvest is still white, no sign of any discoloration. The Dragon's Blood has completely turned a light shade of brown on the outside...reminds me of marshmallows dipped in hot cocoa.

I plan to do two more test batches. I will use the same amount of ZVCS with the Autumn Harvest and then separate for 'autumn' colors (I picked up several leaves from the neighborhood). Going to push the envelope with Red, Orange, Yellow and Green Clyde Slide in alternating colors.

For the Dragon's Blood, I'm thinking Red, Yellow and Copper (not a fan of black in soap). This is going to take a little bit of math since I can use some of the discoloration to tone down the colors. So what I think I'm going to do is make a test batch with the normal amount of FO and then using my round cavity molds, divide the batter among 12 cups...4 of each color...and then add the ZVCS at 0%, 25%, 50% and 75%. I'm not using 100% since I believe the outcome would be the same without a discoloring FO.

It is now Friday. The Autumn Harvest is still white, no sign of any discoloration. The Dragon's Blood has completely turned a light shade of brown on the outside...reminds me of marshmallows dipped in hot cocoa.

I plan to do two more test batches. I will use the same amount of ZVCS with the Autumn Harvest and then separate for 'autumn' colors (I picked up several leaves from the neighborhood). Going to push the envelope with Red, Orange, Yellow and Green Clyde Slide in alternating colors.

For the Dragon's Blood, I'm thinking Red, Yellow and Copper (not a fan of black in soap). This is going to take a little bit of math since I can use some of the discoloration to tone down the colors. So what I think I'm going to do is make a test batch with the normal amount of FO and then using my round cavity molds, divide the batter among 12 cups...4 of each color...and then add the ZVCS at 0%, 25%, 50% and 75%. I'm not using 100% since I believe the outcome would be the same without a discoloring FO.
What is the VCS after Zany?

As an exception, the Z is not Zany, but @Todd Ziegler, and it's his DIY twist on vanilla colour stabiliser (an additive that slows down vanillin becoming brown during cure)
I’m so confused. Always. Thank you for the clarification @ResolvableOwl !
@Zany_in_CO isn't the only "Z" on the Forum...there is also @Zing and @Todd Ziegler. As I noted previously and @ResolvableOwl noted above, Todd developed a cheaper alternative to commercial VCSs (Vanilla Color Stabilizers). There are a couple of threads about his various experiments and results.
I have been following the vanilla color stabilizer thread. I’ve actually uncovered three bottles of it in my soaping dump. I’d read it didn’t work in cold process soap so never used it. Do you understand how just seeing the acronym ZVCS could confuse me with ZNSC, right? I am such an easy mark. 😜

I have been following the vanilla color stabilizer thread. I’ve actually uncovered three bottles of it in my soaping dump. I’d read it didn’t work in cold process soap so never used it. Do you understand how just seeing the acronym ZVCS could confuse me with ZNSC, right? I am such an easy mark.

My understanding that it works best in M&P and I generally don't work with it except with the grandkids. I'm just using the Sodium Metabisulfite, it works great, but man...it stinks. But it doesn't appear to transfer to the soap.

@Zany_in_CO isn't the only "Z" on the Forum...there is also @Zing and @Todd Ziegler. As I noted previously and @ResolvableOwl noted above, Todd developed a cheaper alternative to commercial VCSs (Vanilla Color Stabilizers). There are a couple of threads about his various experiments and results.
Don't forget @MrsZ .
Also am feeling some pressure to develop some special technique or potion or recipe.... maybe with initials I and N and G....

@ScentimentallyYours and @TheGecko While I've heard that some brands of VCS only work in M&P, BitterCreek's VCS has worked well in my CP soap. When I run out, I plan to try Todd's formula (ZCS or ZCVS), since the tests here on SMF seem to show that it works very well for cold-process soap, too. How are your recent bars doing with that formula doing, @TheGecko?

Back