Some of my first soaps...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callie

Reaction score
This is my very first batch of soap. It is HP Oat and Honey with Lavender EO.

20181204_154333.jpg

This one is CPOP Tumeric, Charcoal and Yogurt with Lemongrass EO. The Lemongrass didn't come through very strong and I used too much Tumeric so they smell funky. Nice and exfoliating though.

20181206_084649.jpg

These are just some of the MP ones I made for my nieces as Christmas presents. The hearts were Strawberry and Sunripened Raspberry and smell gorgeous! The others are Coconut on one side and Pineapple Papaya on the Green Side. They smell pretty good too. I vacuum wrapped them in snaplock bags with my kitchen thermosealer.
20181219_065121.jpg

These last ones are CPOP Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Lavender EO. They smell great too. They were meant for my Dogs, but we have all been using them because they turned out so well.

Attachments

• 20190117_185421.jpg
    20190117_185421.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 20
Really nice job on these! Like your charcoal CPOPs a lot. Even your first ones are pretty, just plain like they are.

If you want to see them, my first two are in the Gallery. My next 2 are still in molds tonight.

Gee - wish my first soaps looked this good! HP and CPOP to boot. Were the bottom discs cut from a log or individual moulds? They look very 'slick' or should I say clean and professional.

Gee - wish my first soaps looked this good! HP and CPOP to boot. Were the bottom discs cut from a log or individual moulds? They look very 'slick' or should I say clean and professional.
Thanks They were cut from a log done in PVC pipe. They are really smooth and hardened up quite quickly. That recipe is a keeper!

This is my very first batch of soap. It is HP Oat and Honey with Lavender EO.

These last ones are CPOP Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Lavender EO. They smell great too. They were meant for my Dogs, but we have all been using them because they turned out so well.

All of your "first tries" look magnificent!
Do you mind sharing your recipe for your doggie-soap-that-the humans-love? Our puppy could use some good soap...

TIA!

All of your "first tries" look magnificent!
Do you mind sharing your recipe for your doggie-soap-that-the humans-love? Our puppy could use some good soap...

TIA!

Sure. I made the recipe, so it could possibly do with tweaking to your taste, but my family really likes this one.

1kg oils recipe

Olive oil 50% (500g)
Coconut oil 25% (250g)
Sunflower oil 10% (100g)
Shea butter 10% (100g)
Castor oil 5% (50g)
2tsp sodium lactate
138g caustic soda
270ml water

EO AT 4% (this was very strong, if you like it that way, great, otherwise reduce to 3%) 40mls total

10mls Peppermint
10mls Eucalyptus
10mls Lavender
10mls Rosemary

Poured into 80mm PVC pipe, opening sealed with plastic wrap and 'cooked' at 60 degrees Celsius for 1hr. Left in mould for about 2-3 days before slicing.

Sure. I made the recipe, so it could possibly do with tweaking to your taste, but my family really likes this one.

1kg oils recipe

Olive oil 50% (500g)
Coconut oil 25% (250g)
Sunflower oil 10% (100g)
Shea butter 10% (100g)
Castor oil 5% (50g)
2tsp sodium lactate
138g caustic soda
270ml water

EO AT 4% (this was very strong, if you like it that way, great, otherwise reduce to 3%) 40mls total

10mls Peppermint
10mls Eucalyptus
10mls Lavender
10mls Rosemary

Poured into 80mm PVC pipe, opening sealed with plastic wrap and 'cooked' at 60 degrees Celsius for 1hr. Left in mould for about 2-3 days before slicing.

Please be careful around using eo with animals some shouldnt be used i think peppermint and eucalyptus are 2 that are often cautioned as not safe for animals. Im only going of stuff i found while researching stuff for crafting last year but when it comes to animals id prefer to air on the side of caution :) @MGM just a warning for you too please research if using on your dog too.

Also and probably more importantly very nice soaps there especially for your first attempts much better than i managed. I do like all these charcoal soaps makes me soooooo excited for try it when mine arrives sunday. got aloe vera gel coming too so i can see a face soap happening sunday or monday. Is the charcoal one you made just for general use?

Hi Chris The charcoal one was designed for my tween daughter to use on her face. The yogurt is good to encourage cell turnover and tge tumeric is great for skin and scrubby too. My daughter thinks it smells funky, but my sister and Mum love it.

Thanks for the warning on essential oils on animals. I do a bit of aromatherapy fir my own benefit and did a bit of research before I decided in this blend. I found a list of oils that were safe for dogs and eucalyptus and peppermint were included. I am pretty sure that I saw somewhere that they are bad for cats though. I will do more research

Hi Chris The charcoal one was designed for my tween daughter to use on her face. The yogurt is good to encourage cell turnover and tge tumeric is great for skin and scrubby too. My daughter thinks it smells funky, but my sister and Mum love it.

Thanks for the warning on essential oils on animals. I do a bit of aromatherapy fir my own benefit and did a bit of research before I decided in this blend. I found a list of oils that were safe for dogs and eucalyptus and peppermint were included. I am pretty sure that I saw somewhere that they are bad for cats though. I will do more research

Ah right thats probably where iv read it then and thought it was dogs too there was a warning with. It would make sense though because iv only got cats so i guess thats what i would have searched for.

I often walk a friends dogs and they can get a bit smelly when they get wet at this time of year so i might leave a bar at the owners house to try rid my hands of the wet dog smell once its cured. and if that works they should go down nicely with the local beekeepers to rid of smoky smelly hands and great for research and feedback

My thoughts almost exactly, on all points lol Great job @Callie!

I was thinking about using gound poppy seeds as an exfoliating scrub in my face soap going to go with just plain black for first one then might try some swirls in future versions. Would you mind sharing what recipe you used for the face soap? i wouldnt use yogurt but thats just personal preference although i do love my lard goats milk soap

I was thinking about using gound poppy seeds as an exfoliating scrub in my face soap going to go with just plain black for first one then might try some swirls in future versions. Would you mind sharing what recipe you used for the face soap? i wouldnt use yogurt but thats just personal preference although i do love my lard goats milk soap
I would be happy to shate the revipe, but I dont think it eas very good lol. I wont be making it in that form again.
The amount of charcoal I put in it ( too much I think!) actually made the soap grainy and pleasantly exfoliating for the face. I think ground up poppy seeds could be a bit sharp?

I would be happy to shate the revipe, but I dont think it eas very good lol. I wont be making it in that form again.
The amount of charcoal I put in it ( too much I think!) actually made the soap grainy and pleasantly exfoliating for the face. I think ground up poppy seeds could be a bit sharp?

ah ok ill just have a hunt round and see what i can find for the recipe then. Its going to either be 3 new things iv never tried before OR ill try them in 3 small batches so i know what to expect. I want to include aloe vera gel, charcoal and was thinking about poppy seeds im sure iv seen someone on here using ground up poppy seeds maybe they werent ground and were whole would be less sharp then maybe?

Latest posts

Back