Some noobie questions about scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arthur, if you decide you like scents in your soap, I think you'll eventually come to decide what types/families you prefer, ie; green, warm, fruity, floral, unisex, water, bakery/food, etc, etc. Once you do you can post and ask what people's favorites are in the types you prefer (also which ones stick/accelerate/discolor), there is a pretty good collective body of knowledge here. I would recommend that as a way to check out some FOs without ordering 300+ samples like some idiots (ahem) do. DON'T go by seller's descriptions, whatever you do, I did that more than I want to remember on my road through all those samples.

Excellent advice from everyone. Thanks all. It seems that the world of soap scents is quite complex, possibly more so than the soap itself. It's too bad the scent names can't be more factually descriptive.

I've got a few I just ordered from fragrance buddy and did a test batch. The smells have changed in soaping so don't lose hope! They've gotten better than the bottle for the most part. Banana smelled like cleaning product oob but smells like banana candy in the soap... black coconut def. morphed but I cant describe it other than to say I don't think that's coconut. Apple mango lost the sharp overtone and makes me want to eat the bar. Winterfestival hasn't picked a scent in the soap yet. Asian sandalwood smells better in the bottle I think, but it's also changing (tests are only 10 days old).

Test time!

Don't let this batch deter you. Three of those scents - banana, coconut and mango - are notoriously unstable in CP and difficult to find.

Update:
After 3 months cure, the Sun and Earth fo has mellowed out, and I have to say that I like it a lot.
I still don’t like the Patchouli Passion at all, but my wife just loves it, as do several of her friends.
Today I’m making a batch with the Apple Cider, we’ll see what that’s like.

Update:

I made a couple of batches with the FB Apple Cider fo last October. High lard soap of course.
It smelled very nice after soaping, a nice blend of apple and cinnamon. Over time the apple has faded a little so the cinnamon is dominant, but the apple is still there in the mix. I like it. I have gifted several bars to friends and have gotten enough requests for more to mark this fo down as a keeper.
I still despise the Patchouli Passion.
The Sun and Earth is still my favorite.

Back