Some color help, please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking to make next a peppermint batch. Pure lily white. But then there is the question of adding oatmeal so as to replicate a popular batch that has run out of stock. So, should I go with the pure lily white (kind of pretty and dramatic) or should I add some oatmeal (but get a speckled effect)? I'm kind of leaning towards a pure white one, because I have just recently figured out how to get a pure white batch. (Using a nearly clear olive oil has been the trick for me.)

Or do some of you only dream in color, and recommend the addition of a color for an ITP swirl?

Any thoughts would be, as usual, so appreciated.

That's an interesting intercultural dissonance. Red is the absolutely last colour I'd associate with minty scent.

Out of pure nonconformism: Why not make the soap solid black? As in black oxide, plus AC, plus some ultramarine blue/purple (“rich black”)? Or an ITP from 90% black and 10% white (with white pigment, not just uncoloured)? Or an aurora swirl? (@glendam That's the video with the stars made from clumpy TD)

When you say you're thinking of adding oatmeal, what form of oatmeal? Ground oatmeal will add specks but what about colloidal oatmeal (Aveeno, available at any drug store)?
Guess I am going to have to bone up on what colloidal oatmeal is! I thought it and ground were the same thing. Googling Aveeno next! Aveeno won't show up in the soap bar?

Out of pure nonconformism: Why not make the soap solid black? As in black oxide, plus AC, plus some ultramarine blue/purple (“rich black”)? Or an ITP from 90% black and 10% white (with white pigment, not just uncoloured)? Or an aurora swirl?
Owl! You radical!

am thinking to make next a peppermint batch. Pure lily white.
Love:Bug Eye.gif

I asked a question about colloidal oatmeal but it may have gotten buried, so forgive me for asking again.

Will colloidal oatmeal show up in a white soap bar? Or will the bar still appear as "pure as the driven snow"?

it has been seen to help those who are eczemic. It relieves the itching (they say).
:thumbs:
I know a soaper who makes Honey & Oats Olive Oil Castile for her 3-year-old grandson who has eczema. She uses baby cereal for the soap. She then throws colloidal oatmeal into his bath water for a soothing soak. Colloidal oatmeal has the ability to stay suspended in the water where any other form of oatmeal sinks to the bottom.

I asked a question about colloidal oatmeal but it may have gotten buried, so forgive me for asking again.

Will colloidal oatmeal show up in a white soap bar? Or will the bar still appear as "pure as the driven snow"?
It won’t be pure white as the driven snow, in my experience. It will most likely be the lightest, creamy beige depending on how much you use and other additives, you will see tiny little “flecks” of the ground oats. It’s actually makes a quite beautiful soap. Hope this helps.

I just finished the peppermint batch. I ended up going with no additives, except for the EO (from Bramble Berry). Thank you for all the input - I learned a lot. For a name, given that it is going to be pure white, I am thinking about naming it "Chastity." Should be a big seller. :shakinghead:

I'm attaching a picture, but it is horrible. The sunlight was causing shadows. More pics when it is cut.

Attachments

• IMG_4018.JPG
    IMG_4018.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 23
Back