Some advice please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherrydene soapy

Reaction score
CB52454B-5814-41B0-ACD6-41C8B39A34C9.jpeg Please could you lovely people have a look at this soap for me, I think it has glycerin rivers in the top half and white dots in the lower half. Do you think that 1. the dots are because I didn’t mix the lye in enough? and 2. the glycerin rivers is that because it got too hot? I cover it with a cardboard lid , then some packaging that my new soap cutter came in, then 2 towels or could it have been the FO cucumber and melon from the SoapKitchen?
I am really pleased with how it turned out I used poppy seeds for the first time and I used my new soap cutter.
I am really enjoying practicing with my soap, every one here is so encouraging and full of excellent tips. In advance thank you:thumbs:

56A5A934-4431-4D98-B536-AEF24B3F0962.png
Yup, I believe the top is glycerin rivers probably due to TD or a high water content. The bottom spots are probably stearic spots and or cutter bubbles ( did you get a wire cutter?).
Yes a new one x

Great colors! Looks like you are no longer "practicing."
No definitely still practicing xx thank you xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say glycerin rivers as well, probably because it got too hot. I had a cucumber fragrance that was a fast mover/heater so your FO may well have contributed. At any rate, the rivers just add to the design in this soap - it's very pretty.

I don't know about the white dots, but if it were lye it seems like all the batter would have them, not just the bottom. I'm assuming your lye solution was clear when you added it to the oils.

I'd say glycerin rivers as well, probably because it got too hot. I had a cucumber fragrance that was a fast mover/heater so your FO may well have contributed. At any rate, the rivers just add to the design in this soap - it's very pretty.

I don't know about the white dots, but if it were lye it seems like all the batter would have them, not just the bottom. I'm assuming your lye solution was clear when you added it to the oils.
Yep but I mixed at a lower temperature lye was 99f and oils were 106f so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it?x

Gee that's a bit flash! I use a kitchen knife.
I did some private work so I thought, dam it I am going to spend the money on a soap cutter x

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep but I mixed at a lower temperature lye was 99f and oils were 106f so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it?x
Depending on your recipe that might not be warm enough.
The white dots are stearic spots. They will go if you mix oils and lye together at 110*F.

The photo isn’t really clear so I’m not sure those are glycerin rivers. It could possibly be that that layer wasn’t mixed enough.
If it is glycerin rivers they will go if you use lye concentration of 30% or above. Look for lye concentration (not lye as % of oils) in soap calc.

Nice looking soap. Love the green!

Last edited:
Depending being on your recipe that might not be warm enough.
The white dots are stearic spots. They will go if you mix oils and lye together at 110*F.

The glycerine rivers will go if you use lye concentration of 30% or above. Look for lye concentration (not lye as % of oils) in soap calc.
137CC549-21ED-48CB-909E-9A6AA6C6F2AC.jpeg This is the recipe I used I think I mixed with too low temperatures, any thoughts on the recipe? X

View attachment 36569 Please could you lovely people have a look at this soap for me, I think it has glycerin rivers in the top half and white dots in the lower half. Do you think that 1. the dots are because I didn’t mix the lye in enough? and 2. the glycerin rivers is that because it got too hot? I cover it with a cardboard lid , then some packaging that my new soap cutter came in, then 2 towels or could it have been the FO cucumber and melon from the SoapKitchen?
I am really pleased with how it turned out I used poppy seeds for the first time and I used my new soap cutter.
I am really enjoying practicing with my soap, every one here is so encouraging and full of excellent tips. In advance thank you:thumbs:

Your soap is beautiful.. If you soaped at 99 degrees, it could by bits of oils or butters that are solidified.

Definitely looks like glycerin rivers to me and stearic spots. I have found that if using TD (water based) and it is not mixed thoroughly with the water or I use too much in the batter, when the soap heats, then I get the rivers. I just embrace them as part of the design. I have one soap that I intentionally caused glycerin rivers because I wanted them in that design. As for the stearic spots, I haven't yet figured out what causes them, but notice when I soap at higher temps (I do the heat transfer method), then I will occasionally get them.

Back