solid soap in seconds!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wessam

Reaction score
guys help me please! i addedd the lye to avocado pure, added this solution to my oils and in a few seconds i got this hard pastehe more i blend it the harder it gets! it now looks like HP soap, and i expect that in the morning it would start weeping out the oils :sad:, ! what happened? why? and how can i come over it?

20150529_204607.jpg

Last edited:
That is what we call a seize. Did you add any scent? That is usually the cause though a few other things can cause it. If you post your whole recipe maybe we can figure out what happened. You can use a crock pot to HP it so it doesn't get wasted.

That is what we call a seize. Did you add any scent? That is usually the cause though a few other things can cause it. If you post your whole recipe maybe we can figure out what happened. You can use a crock pot to HP it so it doesn't get wasted.

My recipe is:
Aloe oil 30 gms - castor oil 50 gms - coconut oil 100 gms - olive oil 250 gms - rice bran oil 100 gms - avocado puree 74 gms - water 100 gms - lye 75 gms. I also added about 15 gms Lotus oil for scent :cry:

would you please also tell me more about the "sieze"? now have i lost the batch completely? any other solutions rather than HP ? what are the other probabilities that may lead to this loss?

I'm not certain whose Lotus oil you added but florals are notorious for accelerating like crazy and can certainly cause a seize. Seize is also known as soap on a stick because it thickens/traces so fast and so solidly that you can no longer stir it. SB'ers get stuck in it and it can be very difficult to mold because the soap is so solid that you'd get tons of air pockets trying to jam into a mold. Most people end up letting it gel in the bowl and once it's looser due to gelling, they glop it in the mold, or people will HP it in a double boiler or crock pot so they can at least save their soap.

I'm not certain whose Lotus oil you added but florals are notorious for accelerating like crazy and can certainly cause a seize. Seize is also known as soap on a stick because it thickens/traces so fast and so solidly that you can no longer stir it. SB'ers get stuck in it and it can be very difficult to mold because the soap is so solid that you'd get tons of air pockets trying to jam into a mold. Most people end up letting it gel in the bowl and once it's looser due to gelling, they glop it in the mold, or people will HP it in a double boiler or crock pot so they can at least save their soap.

You are exactly describing my case!!! I already droppedit in the mold. after how many hours shall i revisit it?

guys help me please! i addedd the lye to avocado pure, added this solution to my oils and in a few seconds i got this hard pastehe more i blend it the harder it gets! it now looks like HP soap, and i expect that in the morning it would start weeping out the oils :sad:, ! what happened? why? and how can i come over it?

am i understanding you correctly , you said you added your lye to the avocado puree and not to water? if you did then that is where the problem lay , your lye trying to expand but it has no liquid [ hope i am explaining this right ] you have to HP your soap with the missing amount of water to get it right .

Last edited:
It's possible to soap with a 1:1 lye solution although with an accelerating FO, that would cause a seize. You can add water while HP'ing it if you'd like but it will still be fine soap if you don't add an more liquids. I would suspect the fragrance more than I would suspect the addition of lye water to the puree. The lye doesn't expand; it will simply start reacting with whatever fat molecules it can find. There was not likely a very long time that the lye and avocado were mixed before adding it to the oils anyhow and I've not heard that avocado puree accelerates trace. I'm still voting for the fragrance as the culprit. Wessam, I hope you'll post pics of your outcome!

ETA: Oh I see the question Judah as. Did you dissolve the lye in water first, Wessam, or did you add lye crystals to avocado puree? I assumed your meant you lye water when you said your lye but that point should be cleared up.

Hello everybody :D

I unmolded yesterdays "accident"... it looked ugly, uneven shape, but the touch felt like good soap! I cut it using pickles cutter and tried to make ot look as decent as possible. Most likely i will "give away" this batch as free samples, use at home or ground to add to other soap (I am not a big fan of HP).

Answering your questions, actually i added the lye to the pure.. no water... to my surprise the puree turned to liquid.

I remade the very same recipe today, with only change that i did not add fragrance... result.. I got a normal texture. Yet yesterday's batch looked green as the avocado did not change its color while adding to lye (it was frozen). Today it went brown (was not frozen) so soes the avocado tempretaure affect its color while reacting with lye?

will post you pics very soon of yesterday's "accident" :D

Latest posts

Back