Solid Shave Gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjebanks47

Reaction score
I saw an ad on TV, it was for a solid shave gel for men with beards. I was just curious if anyone had attempted or made a "solid" shave gel. Ive been toying with the idea. Supposedly you just rub the "bar" on your face and then shave. Ideas?

I'm pretty sure I've seen the commercial you're talking about. It reminded me a bit of shaving with a very snotty Castill/Bastille (which has become my preferred shaving soap). If I remember right the commercial doesn't mention anything about actual lather other than "buy now and get miracles." I wonder if it would lather on its own if used like regular soap?

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it - I was actually making soap at the time the ad came on so I was just barely listening. My husband prefers gels to actual soap bars so I was just curious if this was something someone might have an idea on. I was toying with it and thought it was an interesting ad.

In the comments she notes that you need to add a preservative to it, as the proteins are all water soluble and you are going to be using it with water as you shave. She recommends an oil soluble one like phenonip.

you just gave me an idea Kchaystack, I will try to make my DH to use my shampoo bar it lathers like crazy. It is the syndet bar tweaked a bit.. .....

Looks like they posted the ingredients as a response to an ask on their Amazon page:

AQUA (WATER), STEARETH 20, PEG-400, GLYCERINE, SODIUM STEARATE, COCAMIDE MEA (COCONUT OIL FATTY ACID), PROPYLENE GLYCOL, COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) OIL, MELALEUCA ALTERNIFOLIA (TEA TREE) OIL, FRAGRANCE, FD&C BLUE 1 (CL42090), D&C RED 33 (CL17200)

STEARETH 20 & PEG-400 - is an part of a emulsifier system
GLYCERINE - is a humectant
SODIUM STEARATE - saponified stearic acid
PROPYLENE GLYCOL - solvent and humectant

Not sure why there is both COCAMIDE MEA (COCONUT OIL FATTY ACID) and Cocoa Oil listed and not the saponified FFA salt, I would guess this is some kind of superfat.

Of course the tea tree and fragrance and color are all probably under 5%, assuming they at least marginally followed labeling guidelines.

Back