Solid Perfume

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My main thing that I make is Solid Perfume. It's taken me a bit to figure out the right recipe for it, but I think I've finally gotten it. However, I've been using Beeswax for it and have found out that some people (even myself) have had reactions to it. So, am hoping that this Candelilla Wax that cmzaha has given me might work better! I'll have to post a picture when I get a chance!

I normally use 3 scents when I make my perfume, which is a top, middle and base. The ratio is usually 1/2 tsp base, 1 1/2 tsp middle and 1 tsp top. But, this new one I'm hoping to make will have 4 scents instead of 3. So, am trying to figure out how to adjust the amount and don't really want to use more than 3 tsp because it'd make the scent too strong. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks :)

I normally use 3 scents when I make my perfume, which is a top, middle and base. The ratio is usually 1/2 tsp base, 1 1/2 tsp middle and 1 tsp top. But, this new one I'm hoping to make will have 4 scents instead of 3. So, am trying to figure out how to adjust the amount and don't really want to use more than 3 tsp because it'd make the scent too strong. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks :)

You really should be using weight not tsps. when adding fragrance. I use 1-2% of the weight of my perfume I'm making. Usage rates will differ by what you are using. You'll need to use an EO calculator. I don't use much in the way of EO's as my customer like dups of BBW and other name brands. I make two EO straight up -Patchouli and also lavender.

However, I've been using Beeswax for it and have found out that some people (even myself) have had reactions to it.
Try using 1:1 cetyl alcohol and fractionated coconut oil instead of beeswax and whatever else is in your recipe. Also make sure that you are following safety usage rates for perfume. Maybe the reaction is not to the formula but exceeding safe usage rates.

The ratio is usually 1/2 tsp base, 1 1/2 tsp middle and 1 tsp top. But, this new one I'm hoping to make will have 4 scents instead of 3. So, am trying to figure out how to adjust the amount and don't really want to use more than 3 tsp because it'd make the scent too strong. Does anyone have any ideas?
1) stop using tsp. Get a scale that measures decimal grams. How big is your recipe? You want to make sure you're using safe usage rates based on the application for perfume.
2) you can setup your fragrance ratio anyway you want so if 3 scents is 1:3:2, you could make 4 scents 1:3:2:1, you're just adding another part to the total. For example if the total is 6g scent (to meet safety usage rates for batch size) ... 3 scents is 1g:3g:2g, and 4 scents is .86g:2.58g:1.72g:.86g roughly. That's where having a scale will become your best friend.

I'm afraid the scale I found is in kg. But, I found a conversion chart that can work around it in order to convert kg to g. A little more work, but I think I can do it! So, basically from what you're saying is to do the same with the scents?

Sensitivity will be an issue. But otherwise, you don't really need a chart for kg -> g conversion, just move the decimal 3 places to the right (1kg=1000g).

Thanks ladies! I wasn't quite sure, but figured with the kg I'd just end up using less product that way. I'm not in a hurry to make anything, so will do a little researching in the meantime before trying anything...

I think you think that a kg is smaller than a gram. It's not. 1kg = 1000g, so no conversion table will help you because the scale just won't read small enough for the finite amounts you're dealing with.

Scales are created to deal with certain weight ranges. Jeweler's scales deal with portions of grams. Home baking scales do fine from about 5 grams to about 4-5 kg (depending on model). Scales for babies go from 100 gm to about 20 lb. Get the picture? Scales for home baking do fine if what you are weighing is more than 5 gm. For less than that (1/2 tsp = roughly 2-2.5 gm), you need a more sensitive scale. You can buy an appropriate scale for less than $15 US. Far less than some EOs.

Back