Solid Dish Detergent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update :dance:
I made a test batch with 10% sci (powder- I ground it in a coffee grinder), 10% decyl glucoside and added 2% sodium carbonate at trace.
I was able to Unmold at around the 4hr mark. It’s definitely a hard bar! I think it will work well on the sponge at the sink but I doubt you can run water over it to give bubbles to wash up. With the bumblebee and Le Fille De La Mere (Arriene) versions you can run under water nicely and use with sponge as well. Our family loves the bumblebee version performance buts it’s too soft. My husband goes through this stuff like crazy. He’s so heavy handed with it and loves lots of suds/bubbles. I’m hoping a solid bar would be better. The other one by Arriene is slimy in our water and doesn’t cut through grease as well but is a bit more solid and lasts longer. It’s fun experimenting though. Thanks for everyone’s input it has certainly helped :computerbath:I’m going to see what adding d-limonene does to these bars next.

Is this using a 100% coconut oil recipe with a 20% superfat ?

Just my opinion but I wouldn't think you would want a 20% superfat. Probably 100% coconut oil with 0% superfat. You wouldn't want that extra oil in a cleaning product.

Thanks for the speedy reply @linne1gi - I never even knew a solid detergent existed!! I came on here for a quick look this morning and have now been lost in learning for nearly 2 hours!!

Is this using a 100% coconut oil recipe with a 20% superfat ?

You're talking about true soap made with fat + lye. This thread is discussing a synthetic detergent cleanser, not soap.

If you want to use soap for dishwashing, Linne's right -- you don't want 20% superfat if you want the best cleansing power. But even if you drop the superfat to 0%, you'll find true lye soap to be disappointing for washing dishes. That's especially true if you want to put the soap in a sink full of water. It won't lather for long and won't necessarily cut grease very well.

I have to run or I'd explain further ... but this gives you the essential reason why we're discussing a syndet cleanser, not soap, for dishwashing.

The problem with making a syndet cleanser is the fact it will cost you considerably more money than purchasing "dish detergent". Think about how well soap cleans oil off your hands, and while, 100% CO cleans quite well it is pretty brutal on the hands. I keep a jar of 100% CO paste for some heavy-duty cleaning at times.

Aw Ok, I thought this was along the lines of making a basic coconut soap recipe and adding the synthetic ingredients. Anyway its definitely not a goer if its too expensive...thanks for replies everyone xx

Read the first page of posts and you'll get more info about the kind of product being discussed -- it's all right there.

Read the first page of posts and you'll get more info about the kind of product being discussed -- it's all right there.

Oh sorry, I thought post 47 by Soapymumma was referring to a solid bar soap not a paste, I shouldn't read stuff until I've had at least 2 coffees to get my brain going!!

Yes, she's talking about a solid bar, but it's not strictly soap if you look at all of the ingredients in the list.

The product discussed in Post 47 is a combination of true lye-based soap (sodium cocoate) and synthetic detergents (Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Decyl Glucoside). Syndet-soap cleansers are sometimes called combars.

Commercially produced combars are fairly common -- For example, if you read the labels on Dove cleansers, you'll learn they're combars --

Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate Or Sodium Palmitate, Lauric Acid, Sodium Isethionate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoate Or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Edta, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Titanium Dioxide

Syndet ingredients: Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Sodium Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Soap ingredients: Sodium Tallowate Or Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate Or Sodium Palm Kernelate

Source: https://www.dove.com/us/en/washing-and-bathing/beauty-bar/white-beauty-bar.html

SCI is usually in powder or noodle form that needs to be melted. When I cools, it helps harden the bar. The sugar surfactant is liquid. I don't think that you will get a solid bar using it.

I agree with lsg. You certainly could sub the decyl glucoside mix for any liquid surfactant, but I don't think any liquid surf would work as a sub for the SCI if you want the product to be solid.

Also, decyl glucoside and cocoamidopropyl betaine are both mild cleansers. In a product meant for cleaning greasy dishes, I'm not sure they would work as well as other surfs. I could be wrong on this point -- I haven't used them for this purpose, so this is just my opinion.

Just an update. DH just got through taking apart the trap of our kitchen sink because of drainage problems. He said it looked like a bar of soap was caught in the trap. I had been using the solid dish detergent. It looks like bits and pieces of undissolved detergent got caught in the trap.

I finally made the Humblebee and Me version of the paste. Wow! I really like it and i made some samples for a couple of other people and they love it. But now some questions:
Has anyone else found it harsh on the hands?
I just recently had a quartz countertop installed. Will this stuff be ok on the finish?
Finally, has anyone used this to clean their acrylic bathtub?

TIA for any replies.

Just an update. DH just got through taking apart the trap of our kitchen sink because of drainage problems. He said it looked like a bar of soap was caught in the trap. I had been using the solid dish detergent. It looks like bits and pieces of undissolved detergent got caught in the trap.

That's a good heads up. Thanks for sharing that important information.

I finally made the Humblebee and Me version of the paste. Wow! I really like it and i made some samples for a couple of other people and they love it. But now some questions:
Has anyone else found it harsh on the hands?
I just recently had a quartz countertop installed. Will this stuff be ok on the finish?
Finally, has anyone used this to clean their acrylic bathtub?

TIA for any replies.
I haven’t noticed the harshness on the hands but I’m a nurse and my hands are pretty used to harsh conditions! I’ve made Marie’s version probably 5 times now and I love it.

Back