Solid Dish Detergent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting! Now I want to try it. I already have washing soda for making homemade laundry soap. Now go get the other ingredients....

Interesting! Now I want to try it. I already have washing soda for making homemade laundry soap. Now go get the other ingredients....
Is your homemade laundry detergent liquid or powder? Thanks. Looking for. Good powder recipe. Using up last of Charlie’s. I end up using less than 1/4 of the directed amount and clothes re v clean and I get less fading. I think detergent makers are in cahoots with clothes makers to wear our clothes out!

So, because I had all the ingredients, I made a small batch of the Humblebee & Me recipe. I made one substitution; instead of baking soda, I used washing soda. Both my husband and I love it! I showed him how well it worked with what was left on my spatula, cleaning a couple of pots and a frying pan. Colour me impressed! It's perfect for a quick wash up.

Is your homemade laundry detergent liquid or powder? Thanks. Looking for. Good powder recipe. Using up last of Charlie’s. I end up using less than 1/4 of the directed amount and clothes re v clean and I get less fading. I think detergent makers are in cahoots with clothes makers to wear our clothes out!

I make powder laundry soap. Nothing fancy and mostly with scrap pieces of soap that I don’t use or give away.

I made another tub of it today. I found out from my granddaughter that, though they have a dishwasher, it isn't working. I have a feeling my daughter will love this stuff as much as I do. I'm using mine daily. I seriously love this stuff and John's suggesting I make it for the market as well. Although, considering where the market is (a higher end of the city), I'm pretty sure the majority of my clientele have dishwashers.

Although, considering where the market is (a higher end of the city), I'm pretty sure the majority of my clientele have dishwashers.

Yes, but there are always dishes that need a hand washing, either because they don't fit in the load, or because they aren't supposed to go in the washer. I have a dishwasher and I'm still hand washing certain items daily.

I made another tub of it today. I found out from my granddaughter that, though they have a dishwasher, it isn't working. I have a feeling my daughter will love this stuff as much as I do. I'm using mine daily. I seriously love this stuff and John's suggesting I make it for the market as well. Although, considering where the market is (a higher end of the city), I'm pretty sure the majority of my clientele have dishwashers.
I bought the ingredients to try also. It’s great to hear that you really like it. That may be my Sunday funday project! Thx for the inspiration!

A few of the folk I know do a "pre-wash" (to get most of the grease and gunk off first), before putting the dishes in the dishwasher, so maybe there still might be a market?

We have a dishwasher too and as was stated, there are always some items that don't go in the dishwasher. I have stopped putting my glass coffee carafe in the dishwasher because I had to replace it several times because of cracks. I think it was getting bumped in the dishwasher.

My personal mentality is that there’s always a market for everything, you just need to market the product the right way or educate the market the right way. Sometimes the product needs a little help, so you pick the qualities that best suit the market and you boast the heck out of it. Never lie, though. Like I said, pick the qualities for the market.

Example, kids! Kids hate washing dishes. Well guess what? This solid dish detergent cleans faster and better than conventional soap, so you’ll be able to get back to your iPhone lickitty split!

Grandma! It cleans better and safer than regular dish detergents and it won’t leave your hands dry and flaky.

Rich folk who have dish washers! This is the best pre rinse you could use that’ll keep your dishwasher clean and clear from clogs and expensive fixes down the road. (Dishwashers collect a lot of crap in the bottom and people neglect cleaning it since it’s out of sight and out of mind).

I could go on but you catch my drift, I think! ;)

I have a question for you all in regards to this solid dish detergent:

Can sodium cocoyl isethionate be used in place of sodium coco sulfate?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question for you all in regards to this solid dish detergent:

Can sodium cocoyl isethionate be used in place of sodium coco sulfate?
You could try it in a small batch, I suppose.
Maria (Humblebee & Me) writes:
  • You could use powdered Sodium Lauryl Sulfate instead of theSodium Coco Sulfate. I’d recommend sticking to sulfate surfactant because they kick so much greasy butt.

@Misschief, I've made Marie's (Humblebee & Me) dish paste and love it! I always keep some on hand, mainly for cleaning the bathtub, sinks, and some special dish projects (like getting tea stains out of my mugs).

I've made the recipe as given, but prefer to use half baking soda/half pumice.

Back