Solid chunks and loose oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrecker36

Reaction score
Hi. I mixed my lye water with my oils stirred in fragrance into that and trace started pretty fast. Then part of mixture started to get hard and some still oil . What is this from and will soap still cure properly

Thank you dave

Dave, we need more info to help you, please include the full recipe, any additives, did you gel it ?
This is your first post, so would you like to go to the introduction forum and tell us about yourself and your soaping.

Relle, I used cooca not oil, olive oil,palm oil,equal parts. 4.6oz lye. 9.6 water 1.6 castor oil. And 3.5 oz of oil.
And I will find introduction post and interduse my self . Thank you

Giving some things in weights and some things in proportions is not helpful. Please help us out --

cooca not oil _________ounces <-- list the actual weight, please
olive oil _________ounces <-- list the actual weight, please
palm oil _________ounces <-- list the actual weight, please
1.6 castor oil <-- Do you mean 1.6 ounces?

4.6oz lye. <-- is this NaOH, sodium hydroxide?

9.6 water <-- I assume this is 9.6 ounces?

And 3.5 oz of oil <-- Is this oil in addition to the other 4 oils you already listed? If so, what kind of oil is it? Did you include this in your recipe calculations so you have the correct amount of lye?

What kind of fragrance? Be specific, please. Name of the scent and the company?

Not seeing you back yet, I am not sure you'll see this, but in case you come back here are some thoughts:

Perhaps you did not mix the lye into the oils thoroughly. Mixing to emulsion in order to facilitate full incorporation of ingredients makes for a better chance of getting homogeneous soap. Insufficient mixing (not to emulsion) can lead to separation of oils. Heat plays a role as well. If you melted your Coconut and Palm Oils, but your Olive Oil was cold or at room temperature AND you lye was hot, AND you added them all together with drastically different temperatures, you could end up with the lye binding with the hot fats (CO & Palm) while ignoring the colder oils (Olive), thus resulting in some oils turning to soap faster and the other oils just sitting there.

Just some possibilities, but not the only possible answers.

Back