Soleseife - why or why not?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's wonderful but you also live in a beautiful state with so much outdoor recreation to experience. I spent a few weeks there and managed to get out and hike a bit. I want more of that place! Colorado is a beautiful place to be.
Don't mean to skite BUT - ocean 30 minutes drive, snowy mountain 3.5 hrs drive, bush walks - 10 minutes walk, river walk 5 minutes drive.

Don't mean to skite BUT - ocean 30 minutes drive, snowy mountain 3.5 hrs drive, bush walks - 10 minutes walk, river walk 5 minutes drive.
SHH!! Careful, it's already known by many as paradise. Don't spread the word too much. It can only change paradise.
By the way, I lurked on your Facebook page. Beautiful work!

If you are looking for a 20% salt to liquid ratio you would need to add 20% salt to the liquid used before the alkali. Otherwise the hydroxide will bond with the water and prevent the salt from dissolving.
As my memory serves me there is a limit to how much salt can be dissolved in water ( 27% comes to mind but could well be wrong) so using 20% is a good way to go. My limited experience is that using higher amounts of salt increases ashing and *may* cause some of the salt to precipitate out of the liquid.

*NOTE*
I also use sodium acetate and sodium citrate in my solid soaps which are salts. This undoubtedly has some effect on the ashing and total salts that can be dissolved.

Thanks Steve.
I thought you had stopped using sodium acetate for a while?
Are you still using it at 2%.

DH's properties of inorganic compounds (very old) book says NaCL has 36% solubility.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve.
I thought you had stopped using sodium acetate for a while?
Are you still using it at 2%.

DH's properties of inorganic compounds (very old) book says NaCL has 36% solubility.

36% solubility by its self. Then we add alkali which demands at least a 1:1 (50%) so 27% is pushing hard.

I am currently using both acetate ( vinegar reacted with sodium hydroxide) and citrate ( citric acid reacted with sodium hydroxide) at 2 % each.

Lately I've been on a Shea Butter kick - I love the creamy lather. ( 10 to 12%)

36% solubility by its self. Then we add alkali which demands at least a 1:1 (50%) so 27% is pushing hard.

I am currently using both acetate ( vinegar reacted with sodium hydroxide) and citrate ( citric acid reacted with sodium hydroxide) at 2 % each.

Lately I've been on a Shea Butter kick - I love the creamy lather. ( 10 to 12%)

Thanks.
I love Shea butter too. It’s cheaper than cocoa butter here.
I use CA at 1% and it seems to work.
I’ve tried a few different SA percentages and have hit on one I like yet that’s also effective. It’s either too hard or not effective.

Yeah, apart from the ocean, that's pretty much here, too. One of the largest lakes in the province - 10 minute walk, river walk - 10 minute walk, ski hills - 1.5 hour drive (if that), forest - 20 or so minute drive. Hot summers, mild winters.... Just about perfect. Now, if only the summer fires would stop.

How long have you been here? It's not been the same in the last 15 years for sure, and our winters have been pretty mild since about 2000, but we used to get awesome winters, with a lot of snow, every winter for years and years. The infamous blizzard of '82 and of '03 come to mind as a couple of the worst ones, but there have been several that have been pretty awesome. I miss those winters.

You can thank the legalization of marijuana on that one.

I first moved to metro Denver at the end of 1997. I recall 2 or 3 blizzards in all my time here, but random far-spaced blizzards do not a winter make. :rolleyes: I left in 2009 and returned in 2014. Not sure how i feel about returning. :confused: I had no idea about the pot thing when I came back, as I had been living elsewhere, including Mexico, for 5 years. It was kind of a shocker, but i was not opposed to it. What it did to rents is going to drive me away, however.

I think when legalization spreads to the whole country (and I think that's inexorable at this point, especially since our Neighbors To The North did it country-wide), the population burgeon here will realign itself, over time -- but I doubt that i'll stick around to wait for it.

I first moved to metro Denver at the end of 1997. I recall 2 or 3 blizzards in all my time here, but random far-spaced blizzards do not a winter make.
Yeah, you got here right as our winters stopped being winters. It used to snow at least 2-3 times a month from October through March/April my whole growing up years right until about 2000. Now we are lucking if it snows 4-5 times a season down here. Mountains and down south (like Castle Rock and further south) it's a whole different story. It still snows there more frequently than up here, but nowhere near what it used too.

I have some neem powder but am unsure what to do with it. Can you add it to CP soap? What does it do to the soap?
Neem was used widely in India for many skin issues, one of which is acne, which is why I started using it..

Yes, you can add it to both CP and HP, just like many other powdered additives.

It can't be as potent as neem oil, but if you don't have that on hand, or can't use it because of the smell or it just doesn't go with your soap aesthetics (my soap refuses to be other than brown when I use neem oil), then I think the powder is the next best thing. Considering it's a wash off product and the powder is subjected to high heat, I'll say it "might help things along," at best.

Back