Soleseife soap

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Fata Morgana, Sep 6, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Feb 12, 2018 #41

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

My bad. I forgot about the caramel that I got when I did that. Once....

cascarral and DeeAnna like this.
  2. Nov 5, 2019 #42

cascarral

cascarral

cascarral

Hello! Can you explain me more about how you make brine bars? I want to make a batch in a loaf mold but haven't been successful even at 15% salt, cutting them the day after.

You said with 20% you don't have to cut sooner than a normal bar, how much do you wait to cut? Is your recipe mainly soft oils? Mine is OO 40% and still cracking...

3. Nov 11, 2019 #43

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

I said that I DO need to cut sooner since the salt hardens the soap quicker. If memory serves me correctly I would make soap in the morning and cut in the evening. It may even been as early as the afternoon. The do bear watching - just not as much as salt bars which are an entirely different thing.

Nearly all of my recipes are Lard at close to 50% with palm, coconut, shea butter, olive , soy wax and 5% castor. coconut oil is 10 to 14% with the amounts of palm and olive being the ones that vary the most. I usually would NOT put soy wax in either a brine or salt bar recipe.

4. Nov 11, 2019 #44

Nona'sFarm

Nona'sFarm

Nona'sFarm

Supporting Member

This is extremely interesting. Can't wait to try making some soleseife soap. All the recipes I've found so far call for making a brine first with 4 parts distilled water and one part fine plain salt; then add lye. They vary around the amount of CO, some call for 100%, and other recipes use less. They all recommend using flat molds (not loaf). So I'm going to try :
    50% CO
    25% OO
    20% PO
    5% Castor oil
    with 10% SF
    Brine water at the 4 parts /1 part concentration

I've got a couple of projects ahead of this one. But as soon as I get to it, I'll report back. So much fun!

5. Nov 12, 2019 #45

LBV

LBV

LBV

Hi, most of my soaps are brine soaps as I am like my bars quite hard. I also made a CO brine bar for laundry. Salt is 20% weight of water). I was thinking that the brine would lower the foaming of the CO (I have a front loader). I have just got a new machine and instructions say don't use salt. So the question is does the salt stay in the bar or does the chemical reaction alter it?

6. Dec 4, 2019 #46

cascarral

cascarral

cascarral

For what I can understand it does stay in the final bar. When I make my brine solution the salt appears to be completely dissolved (I use a very weak solution, like 10%), however after adding the lye some of the salt separates again and you can see the crystals, I've even filtered it and a lot of the salt crystals stay on the filter so I'd guess there's still most of the salt in my soap as well.

7. Dec 4, 2019 #47

smengot0

smengot0

smengot0

LOL

8. Dec 8, 2019 #48

Mtn5ro

Mtn5ro

Mtn5ro

". They all recommend using flat molds (not loaf). So I'm going to try "
    50% CO
    25% OO
    20% PO
    5% Castor oil
    with 10% SF
    Brine water at the 4 parts /1 part concentration

I did a loaf.
    Don't forget the water needed for the lye to dissolve in. Otherwise the salt will precipitate out as I found out. (Thank goodness).
    I followed your plan except 33% coconut, 10%Avocado, 7% castor, 30% evo, 20% Shea butter. [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted