soleseife soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
25% Olive Oil
25% Coconut Oil
15% Avocado Oil
13% Shea butter
15%Canola Oil
7% Castor Oil
8% SF
aloe vera juice as liquid
T/ppo sugar
goat milk powder
25% salt in lye solution prior to adding the lye
There's the recipe that I followed from one on the web, a hybrid of 2 recipes; one German and one American. I have hopes but at the 6 week mark I can say it's not what I expected. In the curing process it has always seemed wetter than my other trials of the same age which considering the amount of soft oils should be no surprise. I did some planing tonight which is impossible with my salt bars.Took the scraps and turned on the faucet. I'd rate it a 0 for bubbles and a 2 for creaminess on a scale of 1 to 10. I will say this: in spite of me never having purchased a "lotion" bar that's the category I'd place it in. I'm presuming it's the 13% shea I'm feeling. After basically blotting my hands dry they felt like I had applied lotion and after more time there's no drying but my hands feel extremely smooth, that's the best analysis I come up with.
Here's the question....should I age this more and expect to see a difference in another month, possibly 2? Or just consider it a lotion bar and call it a day?
Thanks in advance!!

Give it more time, I say. Maybe you could have upped the coconut oil a bit. I made an attempt at brine bars but my recipe was more akin to traditional salt bars. So far they are curing but broken outer pieces point to bubbly soap.

Yeah, give it more time. If its anything like a regular salt bar, it won't be ready after 6 weeks. I would give it a long cure, 3-4 months at minimum. My brine bars are 20% shea and they lather just fine, I did bump my coconut up to 30% though.

thanks ...looks like salt/brine bars should be in a similar category to castile soaps....like wine, improving with age.....

Latest posts

Back