Soft oil discount?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shannybell

Reaction score
Hello! I am new at this for sure and trying to learn all I can. Do I need to discount my soft oils by the amount that I use to mix my micas with? It doesn't seem like it would matter much if I were just using one or two colors, but if I were using 3 or 4 or more the oil would add up. Can someone explain this to me please? Thank you!

Different people do different things.

Some people take the mixing oils from their batch oil - so as to not add to the superfat.
Some use a smaller superfat setting on the soap calculator.
Some don't worry about the additional oils used to mix micas - and don't make any adjustments.
Some mix with glycerin instead of oil. (I've never done that - it can make the soap softer I hear)
Some mix the micas with emulsified soap batter. (my 2nd favorite choice)
Some just dump the dry mica into the batter (that's me!)

I've tried all 3, and found my least favorite is is the 3rd one. I usually have colored soap swirls with an uncolored white background - and the colored soap would have a noticeably different texture to it - with eyes closed, you could feel a raised texture difference between the white and the colored soap that had the extra oil.

I didn't like taking oils from the batch oil - because that meant the white and colored soaps would have different superfats. That's not usually a problem but the potential for having a lye heavy white soap is still there.

I like knowing that my white and colored soaps have a uniform superfat.

Does that help at all?

Yes it helps!! Thank you so much for your reply. I am trying your method tomorrow! I think that's awesome, why make it more complicated? I like simple!

After I melt my hard oils I pour in my soft oils, and leave a smidge in the bottom of the jug ( i.e i don't scoop out the jug) and use that to mix up my mica. If i have several colours to mix I just reserve a little more of the soft oils. Sometimes I do just plop the powder straight into my emulsified batter too. It depends on my mood on the day :)
I have found with using the straight powder that sometimes there are tiny clumps in the mica that don't mix though properly - so that bears consideration.
More recently though, I reserve a little of the soft oils as i said first.

After I melt my hard oils I pour in my soft oils, and leave a smidge in the bottom of the jug ( i.e i don't scoop out the jug) and use that to mix up my mica. If i have several colours to mix I just reserve a little more of the soft oils. Sometimes I do just plop the powder straight into my emulsified batter too. It depends on my mood on the day :)
I have found with using the straight powder that sometimes there are tiny clumps in the mica that don't mix though properly - so that bears consideration.
More recently though, I reserve a little of the soft oils as i said first.
Thank you! I will give that a try too!

I have to ask, how much oil are you all using to mix your micas? I generally use oil from the batch but I forget to save some, I just use some extra.
It take very little to disperse the mica, maybe 1/2 tsp oil for 1 tsp mica. I'll add more oil drop by drop if needed.
I'm always surprised by the amount of oil I see mica being mixed with in videos. You just need a smooth slurry, not a very liquidy mix.

I have to ask, how much oil are you all using to mix your micas? I generally use oil from the batch but I forget to save some, I just use some extra.
It take very little to disperse the mica, maybe 1/2 tsp oil for 1 tsp mica. I'll add more oil drop by drop if needed.
I'm always surprised by the amount of oil I see mica being mixed with in videos. You just need a smooth slurry, not a very liquidy mix.
I concur!

I usually mix with extra oil - I agree, it doesn't take much. I don't always want to use the stickblender to incorporate it dry, and I add until it looks right to my eye. I usually use all of what I mix, but not always.

Latest posts

Back