Soft cp batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyndham Dennison

Reaction score
I'm wondering where my issue is with a soap that set somewhat, It's soft on top of mold. The lye and oil were about 75 deg f each. After adding lye and hand stirred for about a minute ,I split the batch into 2 pots stick blended each to what I thought was lite trace. I made a 1 pot mix and poured. I'm wondering if what I saw was a false trace. Even though it set up some the top is sticky after 18 hrs
My ingredients are coconut,OO,Palm,caster,and avocado. the last only at 5%. Can Palm give problems in a batch.
Just going to let it cure as long as it wants, no other option :) Any thoughts
Thanks

I’ve had to wait a week before unmolding soaps before, sometimes it just happens. You’re probably good. It I understand the worry

I second needing the recipe in weights. We can't possibly guess what is wrong without being able to see exactly what is going on. And we need everything in weights: fragrance oils, salt, sugar, all additives.

I third the request for the recipe in weights. Photo would be nice but not mandatory.

Could be overly high in water. Could be it didn't get warm enough to gel. Could be too high in superfat. Could be .... who knows. Hard to say at this point.

recipe is Olive oil 40, coconut(76deg) 30, Palm oil 20, castor 5% avocado 5% super fat 5% lye concentration 35.2% fragrance ratio.3
It seemed scummy/sticky on the top of the mold, firmer further in but not as hard as other batches with same recipe for same time. Does the palm oil separate in the bucket when it cools from the supplier and need to be reheated. just wondering

For that much palm and coconut oil I think you have soaped too cool and it hasn’t really traced properly. I soap at 110*F to avoid stearic spots and various swirls that can occur if the hard oils haven’t melted properly or have started to harden again before emulsion is reached.
Lye concentration of 35% is high for this type of recipe. I use 31-32% lye concentration.

I also think your method of hand stirring and then splitting the batch is fraught with problems and very unpredictable. I’d take the mix at least to emulsion before splitting it into two parts.

Latest posts

Back