Sodium lactate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use sodium lactate in most, although not all of my soap formulas. In my CP, I find it lends a creamy depth to the lather....almost as if I had added goat milk or coconut milk as my soaping liquid instead of water. It also lends a bit of extra hardness, which helps soap to unmold easier, especially soap poured into intricate, decorative molds. It helps those to unmold smoothly and easily without incurring damage to the surface.

In my HP, it helps the soap batter to smooth out more, making it more jam-like instead of more dense, mashed potato-like. I can also feel the same creamy depth to the lather that it gives to my CP.

In my liquid soap, it helps to dissolve the soap paste into liquid soap much quicker than normal when I go to dilute.

And I also use it in my lotion, where it acts as a humectant, drawing moisture to the skin.

I use it @ 3% ppo in my soaps and @ 3% in my lotion.

IrishLass :)

I use sodium lactate in most, although not all of my soap formulas. In my CP, I find it lends a creamy depth to the lather....almost as if I had added goat milk or coconut milk as my soaping liquid instead of water. It also lends a bit of extra hardness, which helps soap to unmold easier, especially soap poured into intricate, decorative molds. It helps those to unmold smoothly and easily without incurring damage to the surface.

In my HP, it helps the soap batter to smooth out more, making it more jam-like instead of more dense, mashed potato-like. I can also feel the same creamy depth to the lather that it gives to my CP.

In my liquid soap, it helps to dissolve the soap paste into liquid soap much quicker than normal when I go to dilute.

And I also use it in my lotion, where it acts as a humectant, drawing moisture to the skin.

I use it @ 3% ppo in my soaps and @ 3% in my lotion.

IrishLass :)

Wow, thank u so much for explaining it in detail.

Could u also tell me how to determine the amount of sodium lactate to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use SL in almost every soap and ditto Irishlass. I think you will find the 3% mentioned just right, if you too much more you risk crumbly soap bars.

I used to use SL. I now do a water discount along with more hard oils and find I don't really need it anymore. I was just using it for unmolding sooner. PPO is per pound of oil. Most people use 1 tsp PPO added to cooled lye solution.

Hi guys, I've been having problems unmolding lately... tried a 100% olive oil soap for the first time and was not satisfied with the result. I have like 10 liters of old olive oil and I was wondering if it would make it easier to unmold. Do you discount it from the lye solution?

Hi guys, I've been having problems unmolding lately... tried a 100% olive oil soap for the first time and was not satisfied with the result. I have like 10 liters of old olive oil and I was wondering if it would make it easier to unmold. Do you discount it from the lye solution?
Sodium Lactate will help you unmold but castile soap takes a long time to cure. I use between 3-4% sodium Lactate. That's 3-4% of the total weight. You don't discount it from anything.

"...You don't discount it from anything...."

If you mean you're using sodium lactate solution, maybe you want to re-think this. Not saying you have to, but the amount of SL you're using will add a significant amount of water to your batch.

Commercial sodium lactate solution is 60% sodium lactate and 40% water. Let's say I used 3% SL solution in my last batch of soap, based on the total paste weight, not including the water in the SL. The added water from the SL solution would reduce my lye concentration from 33% to 30% if I ignore that water in my calculations.

A 3% reduction in lye concentration -- going from 33% to 30% -- can definitely alter how a batch of soap behaves.

Latest posts

Back