Sodium Lactate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you sodium lactate?

• Yes

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use SL in almost every batch I make. I find it adds a certain slip feeling to the resulting bar, has no effect on trace, and doesn't decrease lather. Another benefit is I can unmold much faster, It also makes labeling much easier for me (I have my soap labels pre-printed for me so it's easier if it's just part of the recipe)

I use sodium lactate. I can unmold the day after soaping - even though I don't gel. It's much nicer than using salt to harden my bars: lather isn't reduced, bars area teeny bit shinier, and there is no need to dissolve salt.

Do I sodium Lactate? Sorry, I am far beyond to age of lactation, and the sodium content thereof is a private matter.;)

I don't use it much anymore, as I found it did not seem to be necessary. It did not accelerate trace, however. I did not notice any lather reduction.
Lol, this is funny, must use on someone

I too use SL in every batch. I agree with jcandleattic that I get a pleasant slip with SL I don't notice with just salt. It's not an expensive additive and I like being able to get the soap out of the mold sooner.

I was the first to vote no up there. Once my one 100g bottle finished I didn't buy more.

I didn't notice a difference in my HP soaps when I initially started using SL, that "slip" they talk about went unnoticed by me, and I generally unmold and cut in a few hours even just with salt.

It's also recommended for fluidity in HP, but yogurt works so much better in my opinion.

I don't use it because I don't have it. I would probably use it if I had it available. I have just forgot to order it from abroad. I have recently tried vinegar, and it made a hard bar. I have tried salt a long time ago and can't remember the result. But I don't like that salt can reduce lather, so I have avoided it.

I find that people who use less hard oils tend more to use SL. Or maybe it is specific oil choices. I don't find it helps harden my already high hard oil recipes a bit. And since not using it keeps prices down...I vote no.

I've tried sodium lactate in LS (liquid soap) as well as in CP and HP bar soap. I'm "meh" about it.

When I tested it and yogurt in HP, I got the same result that @Dawni did -- a tablespoon of yogurt ppo works a LOT better than SL to make the soap more fluid right before pouring it into the mold.

In CP, it just didn't seem to make much difference. Like @Susie, I don't make much soap that's high in liquid fats. My usual recipes have a high % of lard. Maybe that contributes to my lack of results.

In LS, I think it helps the paste dilute a bit more easily, but it's a "shade of gray" difference rather than a "knock my socks off" difference. I could easily live without the SL in liquid soap.

Latest posts

Back