Sodium lactate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbocrafter

Reaction score
I made my first batch of soap today after being away from it for a few years. I got the Brambleberry beginners soap kit & it included sodium lactate. I didn't see in the instructions when to add it so I added it to the oils. I later read it should be added to the lye solution. Will the sodium lactate still have the same effect on the soap that it would have if I had added it to the lye solution?

It should be fine, I would think. Adding sodium lactate to lye solution is just the easiest way to mix it in.

IrishLass :)

If I remember I add sodium lactate. I have some from buying a BB kit and she swears by sodium lactate but I haven't noticed it adding anything other than easier unmolding. I don't need the mold turnaround that the wait is an actual issue

I made my first batch of soap today after being away from it for a few years. I got the Brambleberry beginners soap kit & it included sodium lactate. I didn't see in the instructions when to add it so I added it to the oils. I later read it should be added to the lye solution. Will the sodium lactate still have the same effect on the soap that it would have if I had added it to the lye solution?

Once your ingredients emulsify into soap batter, it should work any which way you do it. For the record, sodium lactate is a water soluble compound, and probably the most common way to use it is to add it to the lye. You don't have to use it. It hardens the soap and slightly increases lather.

I always add it to my soap. I squirt it in to my lye solution once it's cooled, just before adding to the oils and it works great everytime! Even with my castile, I was able to cut it in 24 hours!! Amazing!

Back