Sodium Lactate into lye, what temperature!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherry Pit Soap Works

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I use sodium lactate and always wait for my lye to cool down. Does anyone else think letting it cool is necessary. Haven't found any info on why.

Thanks

it doesnt matter. my sl is powder, and i add it to my hot lye all the time. it dissolves faster that way me thinks.

I just added SL to lye water at slightly over room temperature and there was a scary eruption! I put the lye solution right back into my ice bath so I think it's fine. Just stopped to check here if someone has had any such reaction but it looks like not. Anyway, I guess my SL is still intact from all your comments, so back to soapmaking I go!

I had never had any kind of reaction to SL, and i started to put it when I place my lye to cool in a bawl of cold water, then I add SL . When you make lotion water phase goes up to 80 Celsius and SL is already in, I think it handle well high temps

Well, I have also used SL before now without a reaction, but usually the lye solution was completely cold (RT). I certainly didn't expect it but I can't say the temperature was as low as I've always had it. I attributed the eruption to the temperature, but if others are adding SL before lye, I don't know!

I add it to the lye water once it has cooled a little. I rarely wait to add it until the lye is at soaping temperatures. I've never had it volcano. That would definitely be a scary experience.

Hmmmm...I'll never know! It was a small batch so it didn't really make a big loud bang, just more unexpected and made me jump a little.
I like the idea of adding it to the oils best rather than to any liquids--I'm SL-scarred for life! :)

Thanks everyone for jumping in as always!

I add my SL to whatever liquid I'm adding to make my lye solution. Never had a reaction of any kind. I've always done it this way, and use it in every batch of my soap.

Latest posts

Back