Sodium Lactate- Differences when added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Late night musings about soap.

Has anyone noticed a difference in their soap depending on when they add the sodium lactate?
Some people add it to the cooled lye. Some add it to the mixed oils before the lye is added. I've always added mine with the oils and it's worked just fine, as far as I can tell. Are there any "add to the lye and add to the oil " users that can say if there's a marked difference in when they add it?

I used to add it to the cooled lye but got impatient with having to wait for the lye to cool so I started adding to the oils. No difference at all.

I haven't found any difference either. I used to add to oils then I read somewhere it was meant to be added to cooled lye so started doing that. I have anothe recipe where I don't use sodium lactate at all and honestly I can' t tell the difference!

Absolutely no difference as to when it's added.
I used to add it to my additional water that I would then add to my 50/50 lye solution, but now I add that extra water directly to my oils then add the lye later. When using an alternative liquid with my 50/50 lye (for the split method of milk or beer soaps) I add the SL directly to my oils. There is no difference to the bars.
However, using the same recipe with SL and without SL I absolutely can tell a difference in the feel of the bars when using them. The ones with the SL have more of a 'slip' for lack of a better description, than the bars without.

I normally just add mine to my lye solution because it's easier for me to not forget it, but I've added it to my oils at times, too, and I can't sense any difference in my finished soap either way. As long as it gets incorporated well into your batter is all that matters.

The only time I notice a difference is when I forget to add it altogether (it lends extra hardness to my bars and extra creaminess to my lather).

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back