Sodium gluconate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunibee

Reaction score
Hi , I want to start using this in my soaps. As the state I am.in has hard water ..other than 2% is there any other precautions that I need to keep in mind ..? Thank you in advance.
IMG_20211028_162551.jpg

I use for every 1000 grams of oil .5g SG. I take out a little water from my lye water to dissolve the SG in, then I add to my oils right before adding lye. make sure its completely dissolved.

Dissolve it in the water before you add the lye. Other than that – enjoy better lather, less scum, and delayed rancidity.
Wow.. thank you thank you thank you ..❣️❣️

I use for every 1000 grams of oil .5g SG. I take out a little water from my lye water to dissolve the SG in, then I add to my oils right before adding lye. make sure its completely dissolved.
Thank ank you so much

Usage rate given at the Soapy Stuff website is 0.5 - 1.0% of the total batch weight (oil + water + alkali).

https://classicbells.com/soap/sodiumGluconate.asp
Thank you for your help

Dissolve it in the water before you add the lye. Other than that – enjoy better lather, less scum, and delayed rancidity.
Hi ResolvableOwl, can you plz clarify this .. my sodium gluconate is milky white. Is it white in colour after mixing into water or does it have to clear before adding the white liquid to the oils . Thank you in Advance

I use 1:1 lye, and add sodium lactate to that. Separately I measure the water to add to that lye and add sorbitol and sodium gluconate at 1% of the batch weight. I find I have to warm the water to get the sorbitol and sodium gluconate to dissolve so I pop it in the microwave. Then when fully dissolved (needs a little stirring) it gets added to the lye.
I don’t have hard water, but my daughter does - I’m curious to see if she notices a difference in soap scum since I started using it a few months ago.

I use 1:1 lye, and add sodium lactate to that. Separately I measure the water to add to that lye and add sorbitol and sodium gluconate at 1% of the batch weight. I find I have to warm the water to get the sorbitol and sodium gluconate to dissolve so I pop it in the microwave. Then when fully dissolved (needs a little stirring) it gets added to the lye.
I don’t have hard water, but my daughter does - I’m curious to see if she notices a difference in soap scum since I started using it a few months ago.
Thank you Vicki. I am making a Htfhp coffee soap. .. thank you

Chelators are very effective at low dosages. If 0.5% or 1% or even 2% works well, what is your rationale for using more?

I can't speak about the downsides of higher dosages of sodium gluconate. I know, however, that tetrasodium EDTA, another popular chelator, can become insoluble in concentrated lye solution at dosages above 2%. This turns the lye solution and soap batter into a thick pudding and it becomes difficult to make the soap. Higher dosages of EDTA did not make any useful difference to the shelf life of the soap and did not appear to reduce the amount of soap scum. My conclusion -- more EDTA isn't necessarily better.

Latest posts

Back