Sodium cocoate (salt form)

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Peaceinc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m new to this forum and am in some need of help. I’m looking for a US supplier of sodium cocoate in salt form that sells in smaller quantities. I’m using this to make a liquid chalk for rock climbing so it has to be the salt form and figured since it’s used in soaps, this would be a good place to get some info. Thanks everyone!

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Sodium cocoate is merely soap made from coconut oil. Soap is a salt, as chemists define the word.

If you don't care to make soap yourself, look for "cold water" soap or mariners/marine soap. Kirk's Castile soap is one place to start. Google tells me it contains Sodium Cocoate,Water, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Fragrance.

Glycerin is a natural byproduct of soap making.
Sodium chloride is table salt used in the soap purification process.
Sodium gluconate is a chelator that is used to increase the shelf life of soap.​

Peaceinc

Reaction score
Sodium cocoate is merely soap made from coconut oil. Soap is a salt, as chemists define the word.

If you don't care to make soap yourself, look for "cold water" soap or mariners/marine soap. Kirk's Castile soap is one place to start. Google tells me it contains Sodium Cocoate,Water, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Fragrance.

Glycerin is a natural byproduct of soap making.
Sodium chloride is table salt used in the soap purification process.
Sodium gluconate is a chelator that is used to increase the shelf life of soap.​
That is correct but from my understanding there’s a process that dehydrates the fatty acids from sodium cocoate (saponified coconut with sodium hydroxide) into a salt form, which deprives oils from the finished product. I need them in this form to absorb the oils from the skin making the skin dry and reduce surface oils.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
You've changed the quest from sodium cocoate, as you asked in your original post, to what I gather is sodium cocoate that has gone through a chemical dehydration reaction. Or gone through a physical drying process. Or something.

In other words, I'm not at all sure I understand what you want. Please provide a link to some manufacturer's tech data or general literature on this product to provide more clarity.

Latest posts