Sodium Citrate in Bath Salts/Soaks?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countryside

Reaction score
Does anyone use sodium citrate in their bath salts/soaks? Or does anyone know where I can find information on the recommended usage rate in these types of products? I have been experimenting with them and I have had some success but I am not sure of the usage rate? My soaks mainly consist of Epsom Salt and Dead Sea Salt. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hmm.. I'm not really well versed in the world of bath and body products, but since nobody reacted I'll give it a go.
In soap sodium citrate is used in small amounts as a chelator. This works because you only use a relatively small amount of water when washing with soap. Small amounts of bath salts or soaks are dissolved in a big volume of water. You'll probably need quite a bit of sodium citrate to have it work as a chelator because of the relatively big amount of water it's dissolved in.
In soap, the chelating effect of sodium citrate helps prevent the formation of soap scum. I'm not sure what the benefit of sodium citrate is in bath salts or soaks, but again I don't make a lot of B&B products, so I'm probably just not aware of other possible benefits.

Ok. Thanks for your help. I have done more research and I think sodium citrate is not needed when it comes to bath bombs and bath salts. I too am new in that area.

Does anyone use sodium citrate in their bath salts/soaks? ... My soaks mainly consist of Epsom Salt and Dead Sea Salt. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Countryside! And Welcome to the Forum!
To make it easier for us to help you, please take a moment to go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself and especially about your soap making experience. Don't be shy. ;)

I make DETOX BATH SALTS with Epsom Salt and Dead Sea Salt. As you probably know, it's wonderful for aching muscles after a workout or just to relax in. I luv it! I do not use sodium citrate because it is in the soap I make to reduce ring-around-the-tub. It's good for those who have hard water.

When citric acid is combined with sodium hydroxide, it creates sodium citrate. When citric acid is combined with potassium hydroxide, it creates potassium citrate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back