Sodium citrate and transparent bar soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonmaker

Reaction score
dragon nest, soap porch, garden, or goat pen
I made a transparent bar soap this past spring, and rather enjoyed the experiment. It is not homemade melt and pour once it has had a chance to dry and cure because most of my solvent was ethanol, which evaporates off. It's ridiculously expensive for soap, but quite satisfying to make.

I'm considering making some more transparent soap and want my sister to test it for me, but she has hard water, which limits lather. In my normal cp bar soaps I was going to make around the same time, I was going to use sodium citrate as a chelator to help with lather and soap scum. Does anyone know if adding sodium citrate will make transparent bar soap more cloudy? I'm not finding much on the subject around the internet.

I made transparent soap for the first 4 years of my soapy journey that started with the first bar I made in 2003.
It's ridiculously expensive for soap, but quite satisfying to make.
That's why i stopped making it. Fun but pricey!
Does anyone know if adding sodium citrate will make transparent bar soap more cloudy?
I don't use sodium citrate but I have used citric acid in LS. I'm OCD about clarity, and it doesn't cloud the finished LS at all. Prolly cuz so little is needed. So, go for it!.

I use 1 1/2 Tablespoons PPO of 20% citric acid dissolved in water (1 part CA to 4 parts distilled water.)

most of my solvent was ethanol
I used a clarifying "polyol mix" of ethanol, glycerin & simple sugar syrup. The sugar might help boost lather.

I used ethanol, glycerin, and sugar syrup as well, but the biggest portion was ethanol because I hate the sweating that comes with high glycerin and sugar. The main reason I want citrate is that she has REALLY hard water, so a chelator will help a ton with soap scum and have the secondary bonus boost to lather. Using citric acid in liquid soap (using KOH?) will form potassium citrate, I believe. If that doesn't cloud your liquid soap, I might have to try it on a small batch.

Anyone else?

Back