Soda ash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nframe

Reaction score
I have noticed that a lot of my CP soaps have a layer of soda ash. It is not a problem and I know how to get rid of it. What I have noticed, however, is that my rebatched soaps never have it. Can somebody explain to me why? I am just curious to know...

Thanks.
Nicole

Is it because cooked soaps have less water in them, or that it evaporates in a different way? Thinking about it, my HP soaps have no ash. I've not done CPOP, so I can't compare that - but hopefully someone regular CPOPer can fill us in

I think it has something to do within how much active lye is in the soap. HP soaps are completely saponified by the time they're molded.

Last edited:
I was thinking that, but then I also get ash forming a while after the soap is finished saponifying and is even cut no longer zappy...................

Maybe how much water is left in the soap is also a factor? And HP soap would also have less water by the time it's molded than CP would.
I used to do CPHP back in the day. Never had ash. I also dabbled in DWCP and don't recall any ash. Have yet to make my first traditional CP soap since getting back in the game, so I couldn't say.

Back