Soda ash problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

Soapy12

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a problem. When I pour the cold process soap in big 1200ml mold, I have a minimal ash on the soap's surface, but when I use little molds, after unmolding the soap, the whole surface will be covered with ash within a few days. The "big block" hasn't got this problem? What should I do?

Thank you for helping me

Reaction score
This happens to me with some - not all - of my silicone molds. This is true even when I’m sure to gel the soaps on a heating pad. I’ve come to the conclusion that there is some ingredient mixed in the silicone of those molds that causes lots of ash.

I’ve been meaning to try a light coating of mineral oil (since it doesn’t saponify) to see if that blocks the interaction and confirms my hypothesis. Will report back if I ever get to it.

Reaction score
Same here, my loaf molds never get ash but all of my single cavity molds got ash that appeared after unmolding. Then I got a tip -- from guess where? While I unmold my loaves after 24 hours, I unmold my single cavity molds 5-7 days later and have successfully avoided ash ever since! For all molds, after pouring, I spray with alcohol, cover with plastic wrap, cover with cardboard -- and then towels for gelling.

I use my single cavity molds for leftover batter and the soap is only for personal use so I really don't care about the appearance. But I do see soapers on here who make incredible work using the single cavities. Good luck!