Soda Ash in CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vickymejia4

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am now into the CP soap making, I have done a few batches with differen results. I have a lot of questions but let start with this: What do you you with soda ash? I read a lot of things about spraying with alcohol, put sone steam, etc. What worked better for you? Thank you

Well I have had my issues with that so I did break down and bought some 99% rubbing alcohol. I had 91% but wasn't sure that would work. Then watching much older Soap Queen videos I realized she used to use the 91% rubbing alcohol! Cheap and it works! And covering it too.
Now I have questions too. I have noted a bit of soda ash on the edges of bars during cure. I am wondering if a light mist of the rubbing alcohol after slicing is something that works.
Reducing my oil temps have also reduced the soda ash.

Hey guys, I am now into the CP soap making, I have done a few batches with differen results. I have a lot of questions but let start with this: What do you you with soda ash? I read a lot of things about spraying with alcohol, put sone steam, etc. What worked better for you? Thank you

Soda ash forms when unsaponified lye reacts with naturally-occurring carbon dioxide in the air; to prevent it, you can cover your mold with a lid or plastic wrap or spray with alcohol. Note that you will want to spray several times during the first few hours.

To deal with it after it has occurred, you can steam you soap (I have a vintage clothing steamer), you want rinse your soaps in tap water or you can plane the ash off.

Soda ash won't hurt anyone, it's simply an annoying aesthetic.

I don’t have major issues with ash, but can’t say why that is o_O. I tend to use 33% - 37% lye concentration and only very rarely spray with 91% alcohol. i recently ended up with major ash on a batch of 100% olive oil soaps, but have no idea why. Like cmzaha mentioned above, I just embrace the ash when it happens.

Latest posts

Back