Soapy Travels - fun photos

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We stopped at a restaurant Monteagle, Tennessee today. In the gift shop attached to the restaurant, there was an Artisan Soaps and B&B display. As someone who has used the product all my life, I really appreciated the Fels Naptha box.

IMG_20161120_143242.jpg

This sign made me chuckle.

IMG_20161120_143141.jpg

That worked better than in the past. Maybe I am getting the hang of it, or maybe I was just lucky this time.

Last time I tried editing a new post from my phone it was a disaster!

Disregard below for now. Erasing text doesn't work so well on my phone. I'll edit later (not on my phone.)

I will have to add the second photo as an edit. I always have major issues posting from my phone and cannot post 2 photos at once without losing the draft altogether when I go to copy the link of the next photo.

Editing is also an issue with my phone, so if the second photo doesn't appear, just be aware it is a phone issue that happens every time.

Okay, so I want to know how lye soap eliminates unwanted suitors?

Any ideas?

I was wondering the same thing, earlene! Maybe by NOT using soap so the body odor runs them off? Or "If you really want a date with me, you have to eat this whole bar of lye soap first...":twisted:

Any ideas?

Well, I'm not sure if this is true or just an urban legend, but I remember reading something somewhere about Napoleon writing a letter to his wife at the time (Josephine) that he would be back home soon from the battlefield, and asking her to please not bathe in the interim while she waited for him to return. In other words, if the letter is genuine, he wanted her unwashed when he got there. Considering the slow means of travel back then, it may probably have taken a few months before he finally got back home. :sick:

IrishLass :)

Those are really interesting signs, Earlene.

I was thinking maybe the unwanted suitors are lice... Now that I've thought about them, I'm feeling itchy all over.

When I was a kid my mom had an old bar of lye soap from way back. It was a big square cake and so old it was cracked almost clear through with age and maybe even had some DOS. Or maybe it was just dirty from sitting around unused all the time. The ONLY thing that soap was used for was washing poison ivy blisters. I'm guessing it was really lye heavy (and probably made with wood ash, it was from my grandma's time) because it burned like FIRE. Now that I make soap I would be more interested in it, but when both my parents had died and we cleaned out the house, no one wanted anything to do with that soap and it went into the dumpster!

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure if this is true or just an urban legend, but I remember reading something somewhere about Napoleon writing a letter to his wife at the time (Josephine) that he would be back home soon from the battlefield, and asking her to please not bathe in the interim while she waited for him to return. In other words, if the letter is genuine, he wanted her unwashed when he got there. Considering the slow means of travel back then, it may probably have taken a few months before he finally got back home. :sick:

IrishLass :)

IrishLass, I just found this today regarding Napolean and Josephine's bathing/non-bathing incident. Quite accidentally when looking up 'The Dirt on Clean' a book by Katherine Ashenberg recommended by Dana89 in another thread. I was hoping to find an ebook or to be able to borrow it from my library but no such luck. But I can order it from Better World Books nat a very low cost.

Corrections to photo links broken by Photobucket's changed policy on 3rd party hosting.

We stopped at a restaurant Monteagle, Tennessee today. In the gift shop attached to the restaurant, there was an Artisan Soaps and B&B display. As someone who has used the product all my life, I really appreciated the Fels Naptha box.

uFAZHxx.jpg

This sign made me chuckle.

cyN9HSX.jpg

That worked better than in the past. Maybe I am getting the hang of it, or maybe I was just lucky this time.

Last time I tried editing a new post from my phone it was a disaster!

Disregard below for now. Erasing text doesn't work so well on my phone. I'll edit later (not on my phone.)

I will have to add the second photo as an edit. I always have major issues posting from my phone and cannot post 2 photos at once without losing the draft altogether when I go to copy the link of the next photo.

Editing is also an issue with my phone, so if the second photo doesn't appear, just be aware it is a phone issue that happens every time.

Any ideas?

Back