Soaps from Etsy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it seems then that I had some very bad luck and need to contact both sellers.

Ironic that this was my first buy of cp soap from another (other than the fairs years back in person) and I needed it to compare mine to. Mostly for use not looks but still... Didn't give me a good feeling about what mine might be like in 2 months.

Guess both are not the norm and ill let them know about the bars.

well, consider this an excellent lesson of what not to do with your soap and take appropriate action...look at how much you've learned from this experience!

Exactly!! We can all take appropriate measures so that none of our beautiful soaps go out with something like this. It is a good lesson indeed.

Personally I would not be bothered by it, but I get farm fresh unwashed eggs, shovel tons of cow and horse manure onto our garden, then eat the shaggy mane mushromms that pop up after a rain fall.

Blech x 2.

Sorry you paid good money for such a bad experience. Maybe you could cut off all the exposed areas and still get an idea how your soaps compare. From the looks of it, your soaps will win hands down!

I just wanted to add that I have bought soaps from ETSY sellers on a few occasions. The soaps have been fabulous. In comparison, I bought soap from one seller and questioned myself..."how does he/she do this"...The soap was awesome! As a beginning soap maker I think it is imperative to compare soaps. I aspire to be what all of you "seasoned pros" are. I love to buy soaps from other soapmakers and think..."what am I missing"...or "dang! mine is better, because of x, y,z....but he/she has got ......"

On the hair issue: As I think about it...I think about the customers that get a hair in their food...you tell the server and it is replaced...Things happen....Okay...Maybe after I have yacked up nothing...I have a weird gag reflex..not pretty ( you do not want to get me as your practitioner in the ER..I am working on it...The dog pukes:I gag...patients puke: I hand them an emesis basis and go on with my business....then I walk out and gag)...Still...I am with the above posters, you owe it to the seller to bring it up.

That is so gross.The seller needs to know about the hair, seriously!! I don't know how she didn't see it but stuff happens. I have long hair and tie it back when I soap or package the soap..

I just saw the second soap, omg that looks dirty?? No way that should be sold. I cure my soap on racks then wrap it after 4 weeks. I clean the racks every time I take the soap off them and wipe them again before new soap is put on them.. hair and dirt on soap is not acceptable to me, at all..

It is soap, not food this is not The Jungle...

The most I would do would send a picture say Hey I don't really care, but apparently dead cells in handmade soap is apparently a big deal.

If you all feel this way about hair, please wear glace while handling your soaps...the amount of skin cells you shed is pretty amazing.

I told both of them in a very polite way and didn't ask for anything. Just gave the info. of hairs and kinda dirty. Sent pics. The hair one she apologized and immediately refunded without my even asking. The hair I tried to pull out but it broke part way so its likely long and stuck in there. I
Might break off a piece in the other side and try it but the rest is going to the garbage since I have no idea how much hair is stuck. I don't want to wash and have parts of it sticking out.

Other one said it was the last of the batch and had been to a few shows. Guess her mom packed while she'd been gone and didn't check them. Idk. She is sending a different kind.
But I offered to just cut that part off first and just told we it was and FYI for her so she knows.. But she said she's sending a new one.

That is great customer service, I would not use a bar with hair in it, not even my own hair..ewwww I am glad you let them know, we all miss things from time to time.

Mockingbird it is a not to small deal I think to most.
Think about going into a hotel shower and seeing a hair on the soap.. Just going to leave it there and wash with it? No.. You'd want it off first.
It's not horribly over the too gross.. But paying 7.40 for 3.5 oz of soap I wouldn't expect hairs on it and in it.

Of it were a brand new bar of soap that I unwrap I would vey no harm no foul.

I will agree that on a professional level it says a lot, I take a lot of pride in my peronal life and my things always look clean and in good use. and I would personal be mortified if someone contacted me to say they found dirt on a bar, if they were crying about how gross it was I would probably pee myself laughing.

Mockingbird does have a point that it is soap not food. I would be ok with it if it came from someone I know, but for something that I paid a stranger good money for, I would expect a nice clean bar! I have indoor pets including a great big 100 lb white ball of shedding fur, because of this I will not be selling my soap. I also tend to only share with those who also have indoor pets, that way if I do miss something they are more likely to understand and blow it off.

... and besides that I also have a DH with a full body "Man Sweater" so there is always hair stuck to the soap in the shower!

I'm glad you contacted the sellers and that you got good customer service in return.

I have pets too, and no amount of vacuuming and dusting keeps all the fur and hair at bay. I carefully inspect every bar after stamping, and trim away any visible problems. I cure my soaps in a small room nobody else is allowed in, do a re-inspection for stray fur, dust, etc. before packaging when they're ready, and store in closed bins. I make felted soaps too, and find little alpaca fluffs in the most surprising places (like stuck on my packaging tape!) no matter how careful I try to be. I'm far from a perfect housekeeper, but I'm fastidious about kitchen surfaces and work areas.

I would be mortified to have a customer contact me about dirty or hair-stuck soap. I hope it never happens to me, and in the future am going to be extra vigilant. Now I'm hoping there's not a bar out there somewhere with fur on it. Worst 'ick' that ever happened to my soap was the time a large moth flew into my soap pot while I was stick blending. GROSS!!! Straight to the trash. Worst 'ick' factor I ever bought was a beautiful bar of M&P, that, when unwrapped, reeked of stale cigarette smoke. GROSS!!!

Thanks everyone.. I will contact them and see what they say.
Soaps are new for me but I am putting Saran Wrap after cutting until I store them away from where the animals are allowed to go.

Hi there, just wanted to make a note - you shouldn't be wrapping CP soap in saran wrap. It needs to breathe; the water needs to evaporate in order for the soap to cure. :)

Hi there, just wanted to make a note - you shouldn't be wrapping CP soap in saran wrap. It needs to breathe; the water needs to evaporate in order for the soap to cure. :)

Oh I don't wrap it.. after cutting I put them on a board and then lay a piece over the top but it's not secured or tight at all. Its just there to keep anything from flying on it while still tacky inside from fresh cut. I take them upstairs to my clean loft after a few hours and they are out in the open for air. :) I appreciate the help though!

I have a wrap system I use for my other products but won't be sealing in that until they are ready after a few months. They are ok to stay wrapped at that point right?

My wrap is a biodegradeable heat seal kind.. breathable at a low 1 mil or so and I can smell through it.

Back