Soappot weekend Jan 16-19 2009

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 pounds of lard soap with no super fatting to use as laundry soap. i added lavender to get rid of any pig smell the lard may leave. looks good so far...this should save me money!

ROFL I hope the lavender works for you - the couple of batches of lard soap I've made (at least with a high % of lard) smell very pig-fatty even with a lot of FO..

755075001232244670-final.gif

So, I didn't make much this weekend. A few retro valentine soaps & a few pin-up girls soaps.

I have been lazy...

Those are great Tabitha...

Well, the soap fairies came to my house uninvited, and decided to staya while. :(
It all started with me melting my hard oils. the PKO was taking a bit longer than I liked, so I went to break up the chunks - well, I poked a whole right in the bottom of my melting pot. LMAO so there was oil leaking out of the bottom of the pot. Quickly got that situated, and proceeded to soap. When I added my violet UM (which ALWAYS turns out a beautiful light purple color) it turned this putrid grey color and is now resting in the mold. Not sure if it's going to partial gel or not. I couldn't find any towels in this house to insulate with. :(
On to my next project - salt scubs. What a freakin joke. Never have I had problems with this recipe. Today - umm yeah, it's runny, nasty, will NOT emuslify no matter how much a blend it - which brings me to my next problem. As I was putting my stick blender together I accidently turned the attachment the wrong way and yep, snapped the locks so I can't use it unless I hold both the top and bottom of it together, so will need to go get another one of those before I try to soap again... UGH...

Next, the 2 heart cutters I had that I was going to use to cut cut-outs in my soap will not work. One is too big/wide for the bars and won't fit and the other one is not tall enough so I can't get it deep enough into the soap to cut it out. :(
I give up. I'm going to go watch football and pretend today never happened.

Tabitha - to be so lazy..... :lol: :p :lol: They are drop dead gorgeous!!!

kwahlne - pictures??????

jcandleattic - nasty, nasty soap faires and apparantly so did the bath fairies....maybe it's pixies and not fairies at all?????? Pixies are usually the ones that like to play the pranks?????

Lindy said:
jcandleattic - nasty, nasty soap faires and apparantly so did the bath fairies....maybe it's pixies and not fairies at all?????? Pixies are usually the ones that like to play the pranks?????

Well, whatever they are, they have overstayed their welcome and I want them to go away... Apparantly they don't care and have made themselves comfortable. I went to clean up/bottle up the scrub mess. Ummm it's a bigger mess than it was because I dumped 2 of the jars all over the floors so I had an oily salty mess to clean. UGH... I should just go back to bed... :(

Clear the Decks

jcandleattic said:
Lindy said:

Well, whatever they are, they have overstayed their welcome and I want them to go away... Apparantly they don't care and have made themselves comfortable. I went to clean up/bottle up the scrub mess. Ummm it's a bigger mess than it was because I dumped 2 of the jars all over the floors so I had an oily salty mess to clean. UGH... I should just go back to bed... :(

May that day and all those events RIP. Never to be thought of again. :roll:
When ever that happens I take time out and do something I enjoy before coming back to clean up.
While away from it I will consider how I could change my soap making enviroment or even relocate it.
A sort of casual feng Shui thing , which is often just comonsense.
A big vase of flowers for the area once it is cleaned can be one way to honour the Sacred Soaping area once again. :wink:
It maybe that unwittingly someone else shiffted somethings and that started the ricoche effect.
I can't blame my dog Jellybean for anything much in soaping.
It's usually me.

New beginnings :wink:

Re: Clear the Decks

starduster said:

When ever that happens I take time out and do something I enjoy before coming back to clean up.
New beginnings :wink:

All in all, great advice, but the thing is, what I enjoy is making soaps and scrubs. LOL
I'll try again either tomorrow night, or next weekend. :)

I appreciate everyones words of advice and encouragement, and just plain understanding. :)

I made a fruit slices CP soap with coloured chunks of M&P in it. It turned out great!

I also made a floral bouquet scented CP soap that kinda flopped, but not too badly. :)

I have posted pics of both, if you wanna see!

Right now I'm deciding if I want to make another batch tonight.... maybe sweet pea scented. My "good mold" is out of commission though and I'm really not feeling like messing with freezer paper! Hmm....

I managed some of my projects:

Prickly Pear is done and I'm quite happy with it. Took pics today and will post when I run out in the cold and get my camera out of the car :lol:

Made two batches of MP in honor of Inauguration Day - both are red/white/blue but one I didn't like the colors (looked lighter than I wanted) so I revamped and tried again. Both are scented with "Democrat" and I am thrilled with the second one.

and in a moment (yes, it's midnight) I'm going to do the Apple and/or Strawberry before leaving to pick up DH at work. :)

I decided not to do my RTCP this weekend, I'm still just too worn out from being sick..

Here's the Prickly Pear! The little dots are the seeds (they're round, like large strawberry seeds, sort of) from the fruit..

And here's the best of the Inauguration Day soap (Ba-Rock-in' Inauguration)

Good news!!
I think - fingers crossed - that when I get home tonight I will be able to cut my hearts out of the soap after all. It's still a greyish light purple color, but if I make the overpour a darker color, it should look fine. :) Last night as I was sleeping I sat bolt upright remembering that I had a heart M&P log insert type mold that I can use as a cut out. I tried it this morning, but since my soap didn't gel it needs a little longer in the mold before cutting the cutouts. But I really think it's going to work. :)
What a difference a day makes. LOL

Well.....I made grease cutter stain sticks with kerosene (stinky but work sooooo good), tried a new recipe for powder laundry soap......made that out of my soap I made from saved cooking fat (works good), then I made some Eucalyptus shampoo bars, and some Bayberry-Pine shampoo bars for a co-worker of my mother's. Busy weekend!

Lil Outlaws those look wonderful!!!

jcandleattic - I`m excited for you....make sure you let us know and then pictures, pictures, & more pictures....

MikeInPdx - I can`t even imagine what it would take to use kerosene in this....

Lindy....basically, it turns out like Fels Naptha when you're done. I've done it with turpentine substitute too and that's a little nicer because it's odorless.....I just wanted to try kerosene this time.....it makes what they called "paraffin soap" back in the 1890's.

I just add about 1.6 oz ppo, either at the beginning or at trace.....not enough to really effect the lather but enough to bond with and emulsify oily stains so the soap can wash them away.

I got the idea from Sandy Maine initially.....she makes a mechanics bar that has kerosene in it.....to cut through grease.....it really works and works well.

MikeInPdx - that sounds really interesting...there`s a lady here in town that is making dish soap but it just doesn`t cut the grease so it`s not worth using. When I have more time this might be worth experimenting with....hmmmmm

Lindy said:
MikeInPdx - that sounds really interesting...there`s a lady here in town that is making dish soap but it just doesn`t cut the grease so it`s not worth using. When I have more time this might be worth experimenting with....hmmmmm

This stuff does cut through.....the vast majority of the time, it does it on the first wash.

Just be careful with the kerosene and turpentine sub.....they're both flammable and please don't use real turpentine.....there's a risk of flash fire with that stuff.....scary.

PM me if you have any questions when you're ready to experiment. :)

Great news

jcandleattic said:
Good news!!
I think - fingers crossed - that when I get home tonight I will be able to cut my hearts out of the soap after all. It's still a greyish light purple color, but if I make the overpour a darker color, it should look fine. :) Last night as I was sleeping I sat bolt upright remembering that I had a heart M&P log insert type mold that I can use as a cut out. I tried it this morning, but since my soap didn't gel it needs a little longer in the mold before cutting the cutouts. But I really think it's going to work. :)
What a difference a day makes. LOL
:lol: Yes a little bit of time a little bit of space and the subconcious so often will find the answer. Congratulations to you.
I really am thrilled for you that these are working out.
I raise a glass of unnamed red to you from Surf Girls great wine batch photo.
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... 9969#59969
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back