SoapMakingFriend - Start batch ( Beta )

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by SoapmakingFriend, Mar 28, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 28, 2019 #1

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Today we have released an update to introduce the start batch feature , this will help you track your soapmaking process and keep eye on supplies and cost management.

This feature includes
    - The ability to select batch size as per recipe , resize to percentage of recipe size or specify the required amount.
    - Ability to calculate soap size after waste and shrink
    - Ability to split the recipe into portions and track the cost of each bar
    - Ability to set recipe cure time to know when soap will be ready and get notified when it is ready
    - Ability to add batch info for tracking .. such as temperature / humidity / Fragrances .
    - Ability to add notes and images .
    - Ability to link recipe ingredients to a specific purchase orders /orders.
    - Ability to use multiple
    - Ability to skip discounting ingredients from inventory values
    - Ability to view a list of batches you made .
    - And more details you can explore NOW

This release also included
    - The ability to copy recipe from recipe database
    - The ability to edit your recipe when viewing it on recipe database

How to use the start batch feature ?
    2019-03-28_16-55-31.png

2019-03-28_17-01-42.png
    2019-03-28_17-06-20.png
    2019-03-28_16-56-49.png
    2019-03-28_17-06-20.png
    2019-03-28_16-57-37.png
    2019-03-28_17-00-59.png

2019-03-28_17-03-14.png

Please let me know your feedback on this feature
    Thank you!

artemis likes this.
  2. Mar 28, 2019 #2

SeattleMartin

SeattleMartin

SeattleMartin

Supporting Member

Played around a little. I mostly like the direction. Would be very nice if inventory were more functional in order to ease testing of the new features. All in all, looking great and I am loving it overall. On to the notes...

Size:
    - We're largely blind here, there is no size shown.
    - Should always show size of recipe, regardless of option chosen.
    - on "Resize" when choosing a percentage is should show the new, calculated size while still showing original recipe size.

Portions:
    - Waste feels like tenth of a percent would be plenty.
    - Shrinkage: After how much curing? Shall we presume 6 weeks or is it up to us?
    - Move shrinkage into cure time or vice versa.
    - Groups: Thank you SO MUCH for this feature! Few specific notes here
    -- Adjust is too agnostic as is. Add Plus and Minus icons grouped right up against the Number of bars field. Add another set next to the bar size field.
    -- Allow group size and add remaining batch as default size on new group. EX: If the batch is 6lbs, User enters 3lbs into first group size. Second group size defaults to 3lbs. User adjusts second group to 2lbs and adds third group which again defaults to remaining batch size (1lb in this case.)

Cure time:
    - By date should use a calendar icon rather than a drop down arrow for calendar date selection. The up/down are nice for moving one day in either direction.
    - By number of days should show calcuated date when slected. EX: If user chooses 30 days or leaves it as default, to the right should be a date that is 30 days from batch date. If batch date is 4/5/2019 then 30 days option should show 5/5/2019 to the right.
    - Another option might be to leave both fields editable and update the value of one field based on the other. I.E. If user changes the claendar date, then show how many days that is. If user changes days, show the new calendar date.
    - It would be very nice to also have the day of the week shown (Monday, Tuesday, etc.)

Technique:
    - Is HP that much more popular than CP so as to be default? If CP is more popular then make it default?

Temperature and humidity:
    - At the time it is made? I'm not sure about this one. If I were to go that far, I would likely be tracking that daily as it could affect all my soaps, including the ones curing. But maybe I'm just noobish or not that rigorous.

Inventory:
    - appears to be very incomplete in terms of functionality.
    - Name column has nothing and I am guessing should be labeled as "Supply" or "Ingredient"
    - Lot # empty
    - Cost not calculated
    - Left is empty and should probably be "Remaining"

Lye and Water:
    - Again, mostly non-functional.
    - Lye details are empty except to seemingly tell me I am out of this ingredient.
    - Not sure about water, but I am one who buys distilled water and would love to simply use that like any other ingredient.

Additives:
    - Seems to be throwing in two additives when this recipe uses none. Or is it simply making them available to me? No idea what is going on here.
    - Again seems largely non-functional

3. Mar 28, 2019 #3

SeattleMartin

SeattleMartin

SeattleMartin

Supporting Member

Forgot to start batch. Few notes on the completed batch:
    - Start and Ready dates. I think most of us prefer MM/DD/YYYY format
    - Edit function unavailable
    - After reviewing my first batch, there is no way to find it again. Like the P.O. in inventory, it seemingly disappears into the ether. (I know, it is data likely in a db somewhere, but to the average user it simply disappears.) Why no link or button to https://www.soapmakingfriend.com/soap-making-recipe-builder-lye-calculator/batch/list

I need to circle back around for the final note.
    Batch: I was able to make a batch by selecting a recipe and starting the batch. Certainly some of these fields are meant to be required.

**edit**
    Also in Batch:
    - Would it be preferable to link the ingredient instead of the supplier for editing ingredient quantities?
    - When editing ingredients, it begins at a 0.01 increment and then goes to 1.00 resulting in a 1.01 quantity. Maybe go with either one or the other instead of mixing the two?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  4. Mar 28, 2019 #4

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin

Thanks for all those comments @SeattleMartin , I'll make sure they are seen.

Anyone else have some comments on this?

5. May 7, 2019 #5

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I like temperature & humidity. I suspect that is for indoors, as that is where the soap will be. Hopefully indoor humidity would be fairly constant (as when we use our air conditioner in the summertime here where I live.)

Mostly agree with what Martin has said above, in terms of functionality at this point.

I started a batch to test it out, but haven't figured out how to edit the batch. At least I did figure out how to review them.

There seems to be a place for an 'intro paragraph to start batch feature' which I suspect is a placeholder at this point. I am looking forward to reading that when it is available.

While the 'start batch' feature is open and I have selected a recipe, I do not see the oils or additives listed, which I suppose is why the costs are all zeroed out.

6. May 8, 2019 #6

earlene

earlene

earlene

I don't see any way to edit or size my recipe in the Batch. Are you sure this is working the way you have it pictured in the first post? I mean here for the rest of us and not there on your developer's computer? Maybe an older version was uploaded here?

I don't get any screen that looks like the 3rd, 5th, 6th, or 8th images. And on image 4 you have your oils listed, but mine has no oils listed.

I've tried 7 or 8 times to get Batch to work for me, but I can't seem to figure out how to get Batch to load the actual recipe. It takes the name, but does not list the oils or additives for the recipe. So it keeps coming up as costing nothing because nothing is in the soap.

Also, when I finally figured out how to get what you have in images 3 & 5, (by double clicking on the supplier name) there are no oils named. I named all the oils when I input them into supplies, but they do not appear in Batch.

See below:

SoapBuilder Batch Inventory missing 001.JPG

Another problem: I cannot edit my inventory to change or correct a Supplier name. I would really like to be able to correct or change supplier names when it is necessary. As you can see, I have my name in there & now have to black it out to show the image in this post.

This is what my inventory screen looks like (not from the batch screen, but from the Supplies link at the top of the SoapBuilder page:

upload_2019-5-7_17-27-42.png

So as you can see, on Batch only the supplier shows, but not the oils. But obviously the oil names are in the inventory.

When I double click on the supplier (from Batch), I still have no idea what the inventory item is because it does not show me anything but the supplier. Here is what I get when I double click on the first supplier link on the Batch screen:

upload_2019-5-7_17-45-29.png

For some reason, whatever inventory item this is, it shows I don't have any, but in the above image from Supplies, you see I DO have of every item listed. So no matter what I do, I cannot figure out how to use my inventory to make any soap using Batch. ALSO MISSING: Units of measure under Quantity Purchased and USED IN THIS BATCH. Units of measure should be listed for both. I should be able to buy 7 pounds of oil and use 500 grams of oil when I make soap,

And for the 8th image you have, I get something similar, but without any actual used up inventory, no costs, and no soap.

So if there is some way to make this work, it just is not intuitive. Either that or it just is not working.

Attached Files:

7. May 19, 2019 #7

katemz

katemz

katemz

Supporting Member

Would love a update on this topic or even its own section with link for others who are new

8. May 24, 2019 #8

earlene

earlene

earlene

When I use the PREVIEW button to preview a recipe in Batch, the oils I have previously set for that recipe are not listed on the page.

When I use START BATCH, they are listed on the page.

Even though I entered lye (NaOH) as a purchase, it does not show up in Batch as an available supply. Same for Water. For water the toggle for Yes/No doesn't work. No option to move the toggle.

Some costs are included, but not the lye, nor water, nor the Sodium Lactate in this particular batch. Other additives? Are they included in cost? Not sure, as this batch only has SL as an additive.

When I start batch, it saves the batch.

But when I go to view the saved batch none of the lye or additives show up on the viewing page. The categories are on the page, but the actual ingredients are not listed.

There is no option to utilize the EDIT or COPY buttons from the viewing page, either. I would like to be able to edit the batch to include a photo in the future (after the soap is made, cut and trimmed.)

I did not test the Print Button because the batch view doesn't provide all the necessary information to be useful as yet.

Additional comments:

Listing of method of soap making should be in alphabetical order, not HP first. Default should be set at CP, I think.

9. May 24, 2019 #9

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Thank you for your feedback .. everything related to batch is being revised and will be fine within a day .

earlene likes this.
  10. May 24, 2019 #10

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

I can't reproduce this issue so far , what browser you are using ?

11. May 25, 2019 #11

earlene

earlene

earlene

I am using Fire Fox v 66.0.3 (64 bit) due for another update, so after that, we shall see if it changes anything.

Oh, but I forgot, I got the same result in MS Edge, as well.

But it's fixed now, so it doesn't matter. NO, not fixed yet. My mistake.

Now it is fixed. Thank you!

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    SoapmakingFriend likes this.
  12. May 25, 2019 #12

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

start batch feature is fixed now ..
    more improvements coming today .
    - update prices at frontend when a different lot ( different price ) selected .
    - UI updates to allow selecting oil/additive/lye from multiple purchase order when one of them won't cover it completely .
    2019-05-25_15-49-44.png
    - show packaging and calculate its price
    2019-05-25_15-59-34.png
    - handle recipe resize correctly at fronted and related price changes.
    - list lye/water and packaging at inventory .

more updates for tomorrow
    - revise view batch page
    - edit batch page .
    - inventory log page .

13. May 25, 2019 #13

earlene

earlene

earlene

You have suddenly fixed it!

upload_2019-5-25_9-18-52.png

Just moments ago, it wasn't working, and now it is. THANK YOU!
    It works both in FF & Edge now, so what you did was the answer.

(incidentally, it was from New Batch>Preview)