SoapmakingFriend.com: Take 3!

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Yooper, Oct 29, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 27, 2018 #81

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I've been using it exclusively since almost the beginning, give or take a week maybe and it has produced 7 batches of soap...

The only thing I can complain about is the fiddly oils total/mold capacity part (which I've mentioned here long back) and the additives that revert back.

Other than those I love this calc!

I have a question though, and excuse me if it comes across as stupid.

When I made my first soleseife, the additives part of this calc wasn't fully functional yet.
    I had calculated my oils and water on the calc, and then manually calculated 25% of water for my salt. I had not written in the notes part coz if I remember correctly that wasn't there yet either. I did write in my notebook.
    I was gonna try again recently, but noticed if you input the salt amount (instead of in the notes) in the additives section, the lye and water amounts change.

Which now is the correct water? The before or after the salt?

It's not an issue at all, but if it's the before number, do I just keep writing the salt amount in the notes instead?

2. Nov 29, 2018 #82

cherrybleach

cherrybleach

cherrybleach

Supporting Member

I have two minor issues related to the "Select oils" spreadsheet pop-up in "Section 6: Oils, Fats and Waxes."

1. Could the "select oils" spreadsheet be made sortable ascending/descending by field? e.g. If the header "oleic" were clicked on, the spreadsheet would sort from highest/lowest number in that column, etc.

2. On the "Results" pane, the section "Recipe properties" appears to correspond to the the "Select oils" spreadsheet, except the spreadsheet is missing the "Creamy lather" field.

3. Nov 30, 2018 #83

marc1

marc1

marc1

I've played around with it a bit. I like it! Here's the issues I found:

The activation email never arrived, so I can't save anything. I've tried to have it resent twice.

It would be really nice if we could edit the SAP values if we know them for a particular batch of oil and they are different than the default. Or have a Custom oil ingredient that we can create to add this in to the recipe on our own.

4. Nov 30, 2018 #84

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Marc1, I had the same problem with the activation email never arriving. After trying several times over several days to get it to be sent to me, I ended up creating a new account all over again using the same email address again and that time did get an activation email. Maybe that will work for you.

5. Nov 30, 2018 #85

apples

apples

apples

I'm testing it on my phone. It's awesome!! So convenient and took into consideration some common things like SF 5%, FO 3%, water lye 2:1, additives+custom, add to oil/liquid... and even calculated the additional lye for CA that I would always add! Wow...I can totally start using it right away.

Just a few minor things to fix/ suggest (although it's good even if it stays as it is!) :

1. When adding a new custom additive, all other added additives unit auto reset to "ml" and "add at trace". See pic.

2. When the new custom additive metric is wrongly set and I need to edit the custom additive, a column on the right is hidden on the pop up window. See pic.

3. Suggest add BHT 0.1% (1g/1kg)? I'm using it sometimes, not sure if it's common among other soapers too.

4. I thought Citric Acid is recommended at 1% (10g/1kg), no? Now when I set 500g oil, CA is 10g by default.

5. Maybe an option to add custom oil? but currently can add under custom additive where we can set SAP values so it is actually good enough.

Thanks for this new calculator! I'm loving it Screenshot_20181201_031851.jpeg Screenshot_20181201_031747.jpeg

6. Dec 1, 2018 #86

BHFSuz

BHFSuz

BHFSuz

Yes indeed! I normally sub frozen goats milk for water. I am experimenting with adding some goat milk at the end of hp cook instead. Would love a way to specify that in the recipe. Today is my first time using soapfriend. It is fantastic work. I will think about ways to incorporate features as I go along.
    This is my line of work during the day. I assume yours too. It is so great to see real skills in this development. Bravo.. :)

7. Dec 2, 2018 #87

marc1

marc1

marc1

Earlene, thanks for responding with advice. I had also tried making a new account, and it wouldn't let me because it said that email was already in use.
    I just tried to log in again and it looks like the old account was deleted. I registered again with the original username and email, and I'm not getting the activation email again. I tried getting it resent, too. It is not in my spam folder.
    If other people aren't having this problem, then maybe it has to do with my email address. My email uses the .xyz domain. .xyz is in common use (Google's parent company, abc, uses it for their website so that their url is abc.xyz), but it doesn't seem to be something that a lot of people have heard of. I've had no problems with using it on any websites, except with Walmart.com, who for some reason don't accept it.
    Should I post this in the log in issues thread instead of here?

8. Dec 2, 2018 #88

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I am experiencing an issue with updating a recipe. It saved just fine initially but when i went back to add some notes and hit update, it stuck in updating mode.

9. Dec 2, 2018 #89

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Does anyone else have a messed up FO default? I see 30 oz fo ppo. I've mentioned this before but its not getting fixed.
    [​IMG]

I'm probably the only one who has this issue but I really dislike the little selector buttons in the amount boxes. I mean, do we really need them? Can't we have it so we can add any text in those boxes?
    [​IMG]

Its a good calculator but its not something I will be using unless its for a duel lye soap. The master batch lye additions seems to be really handy but I don't master batch so its not a feature I'd be using.

I'd really like a reverse mold calculation. Lets say I want to make a 1 lb cylindrical soap that is 3 in across, how long would it need to be? Same with a regular loaf mold, I build my own wooden molds and when making a new sized bar, figuring out how long the mold should be is trial and error.

TeresaGG likes this.
  10. Dec 2, 2018 #90

emi

emi

emi

Tiny detail, but I don't like how in the "Notes" area it automatically double spaces when you push Enter. I can't list things without it all being double spaced, with or without the bullet points.

11. Dec 2, 2018 #91

lshone

lshone

lshone

Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE
    I'd really like a reverse mold calculation. Lets say I want to make a 1 lb cylindrical soap that is 3 in across, how long would it need to be? Same with a regular loaf mold, I build my own wooden molds and when making a new sized bar, figuring out how long the mold should be is trial and error.[/QUOTE]

You are effectively asking how many inches in a pound. You need to convert a known recipe, in weight, to volume and compare that to the mold volume.

Divide the weight of each item in the known recipe by it's density to find the volume.

The density of the oils will vary but .92 g/cm3 is a good number, the density of water is 1 g/cm3 and the density of NaOH is 2.13 g/cm3.

Add up all the volumes to get a total volume for the known recipe.

Now you want to know how long a cylinder with a 3 inch diameter should be to accommodate the known recipe volume.

Divide volume of the known recipe by the area of the cylinder. (area = pi*r^2) 3.14 * 1.5 * 1.5 = 7.07

Answer: A 1 lb recipe would fill a 3.94 inch long cylinder with a 3 in diameter.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet that runs through an example of how I think the calculation would work.

Reverse mold calc for a known recipe ===> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e-7QcuzIYkq9do4S8SFe-e8iUbNjWDB0tf_-qFoPqsM/edit?usp=sharing

12. Dec 3, 2018 #92

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

The linolenic acid value (incorrectly) displays the oleic acid value in the informational panel for each oil.
    Linolenic showing oleic value.png

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  13. Dec 3, 2018 #93

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

Additives:
    1/ I would like to be able to choose to enter my choice of measurement for additives once, and have that be the default for every additive (I used grams for all additives - changing them from teaspoon measurements for every additives is a nuisance).

2/ The suggested methods for additives read like they are the only way to add them, and are unmodifiable for the individual.
    Eg. Honey:
    How to Add to Soap Add to warm oils before mixing in lye solution. Can cause soap to accelerate or overheat.

Irish Lass has an excellent method of adding honey, that stops it from overheating soap, by adding it to the lye water after the lye has cooled and allowing it to heat and cool again. This simple technique can alleviate soap volcanoes.

3/ Having a place to add or modify notes for each additive is useful for a multitude of reasons (eg. one recipe might have liquid sugar added to the soap batter (as invert sugar), another might have solid sugar added to the batter (as crystals) - same ingredient, with only notes to distinguish the form it takes).

4/ Add to liquid - there are two points an additive can be added to the lye liquid ... the first is before the hydroxide is added (like salt), and the second is after the hydroxide is added (like honey). Having that distinction would be useful.

5/ Being able to have a batch within each "group" to add to would allow for separation of portions. Eg. "Add at trace" could have multiple parts, like we would have for multiple colours.

6/ Having sequencing for additives would allow for complex designs ... eg. an accelerating fragrance in a salt batch would need to be added after the salt, but a stable fragrance would be better off being added before the salt (as the salt would be the ingredient that would cause the most acceleration out of the two ingredients). Same two ingredients, but the add order within the group changes.

7/ Could we have an option to add additives as a percentage of oils?
    (Most of the ingredients are listed with comments that the measurement is by oil weight, but only volumetric suggestions are offered and no area to enter a percentage by oil weight is available.)

8/ The alphanumeric field for entering the value is too small ... eg. If I want to add 45.5 grams of something, ir 200 grams of something, it is not displayed correctly (at least 5 alphanumeric spaces would be good).

PS. Looking good :thumbs:

14. Dec 3, 2018 #94

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Did you check your spam folder? That's where myself and others have found the activation email.

15. Dec 4, 2018 #95

marc1

marc1

marc1

Yes. See post #87 for more details.

16. Dec 5, 2018 #96

demirhanunlu

demirhanunlu

demirhanunlu

Haven't seen juniper tar in oil category. Can you add it?

17. Dec 7, 2018 #97

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

My Recipe keeps flipping to public and Im having to turn it off every time I load it.

18. Dec 7, 2018 #98

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Hello , we are working on bug fixes and adding new features to the calculator .. there will be multiple updates on the next few days .
    please keep testing and let us know if you have issues
    Thank you!

19. Dec 7, 2018 #99

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

This has been fixed .. thank you for reporting

msunnerstood likes this.
  20. Dec 7, 2018 #100

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

can you provide SAP values of this please or point to a calculator using it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.