SoapmakingFriend.com: Take 3!

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Yooper, Oct 29, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 14, 2018 #61

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Agreed on the one-page printing. That is one of the things about soapee that bothers me, too. But usually I can alter my notes a bit more to make it all fit on one printed page. Even if I never print it out and only save it to my hard drive, I still only want to look at a single page when reviewing or re-using the same recipe.

And naming the recipe is another must-have. I tend to name by recipes to include the date and sometimes soapee doesn't give me enough characters, so again I often have to shorten the name, therefore suggest a longer character allotment for naming the recipe, say 50 characters (that would be more than needed in most cases, I think.)

Built-in calculations for the following would be nice:
    Sodium Lactate (by percentage);
    Vinegar (based on a formula to obtain the desired percentage of Sodium Acetate);
    Citric Acid (I haven't used it yet, but plan to give it a go one of these days.)

I would add more, but it won't let me log in anymore and I cannot test it now.

What is the issue with the login? My login information is absolutely correct.

2. Nov 14, 2018 #62

earlene

earlene

earlene

I am happy to see the decimal point request has been implemented. Thank you.

But further testing without being able to login continues. I can't log in so I can't upload a photo to include. I started a different thread about login issues because I am having trouble finding any solution by searching all these other threads.

3. Nov 14, 2018 #63

earlene

earlene

earlene

Search by oil contents is a really nice feature. When I happen to have xxx oils on hand, then I could search for a recipe that includes those given oils. (Edit: Which would include multiple options in the search.)

Also search by additives would be nice. For example, I want to make a pumice soap, to be able to search the db for pumice containing formulas would be nice.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  4. Nov 14, 2018 #64

earlene

earlene

earlene

Creating a new account: (I decided to create a new account with a different email since it's all in beta now anyway.)

1. The option in the drop down box to choose from different email addresses saved in one's browser isn't working. I tried selecting my email address from that drop down box and it didn't take. I tried a couple of times and it just doesn't work. Had to type it in by hand.

2. Although typing the password in is required twice, and for good reason, so should the email address be included twice. I cannot tell you how many times I have actually added and extra letter to the .com portion of the email address. Having a double entry system for email addresses has helped me avoid creating accounts with such errors on more than one occasion.

5. Nov 14, 2018 #65

earlene

earlene

earlene

Regarding discussion of what to call the 'liquid' in the additives section:

I believe adding to the 'lye solution' makes the most sense. Many things are added to the lye solution, such as silk, or salt, or sugar, and often some colorants as well.

You could add one more category in there for 'oil held out for mixing' or words to that effect for when some additives are mixed with oils. Maybe 'glycerine' as some soapers use it for mixing with additives. Just a thought. I don't know if it's commonly used enough to list it separately.

6. Nov 14, 2018 #66

earlene

earlene

earlene

One other suggestion that no one else seems to use, but might help soapers for future use of each recipe:

Add a time & date section somewhere on the page to document things like:

Time/date finished pouring: ______
    Time/date unmolded: ________
    Time/date cut: _________
    Time/date other: ________
    For example, when doing Intaglio, knowing when the top layer is generally ready for carving is a good thing to document in a recipe.

I've begun adding this in the notes area so I can document how long it takes a particular recipe to set up, when it's ready to cut, and other things like that.

Perhaps a check box for other methods used, such as CPOP (I often use CPOP, but not always), insulation, refrigeration, etc.

ALSO: Help or instructional files would be useful. For example, right now I am trying to figure out how to save and print. I see "Load recipe" on the left hand side of the screen, and later at the end of the right side of the screen I see "Save" and an inactive "Print" so I assume Load is not what I want to do, but Save. Then I hope to get an active print after that. If there was a pop-up with instructions or even a separate page I could open in another window, it would help.

reinbeau and Kelly Frizzell like this.
  7. Nov 14, 2018 #67

earlene

earlene

earlene

I am happy to report that my recipe all printed on one page. My note look like this and fit at the bottom of the page:

SoapBuilder Calculator print_bottom 001.JPG

But this notice shows up at the top. I don't think it should.
    SoapBuilder Calculator print_top 001a.JPG

(I know I could probably get rid of it if the activation email ever shows up so I can activate the account, but it hasn't yet.)

8. Nov 14, 2018 #68

earlene

earlene

earlene

I found a problem when I re-loaded my one saved recipe. When I saved it, the additives were kept in tsp. and added to the lye solution (the calculator calls it liquid) as shown below in my saved printed version:

SoapBuilder Calculator additive saved 001.JPG

But when I loaded it, the measurements are now shown in ml and also say add at trace, so this section had not been saved, even though it printed correctly after saving it the first time:

SoapBuilder Calculator additive loaded 001.JPG

Everything else looks like it was saved properly, including the name of the soap.

9. Nov 15, 2018 #69

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

@dibbles I also order my oils and additives into a sequenced list
    (I hadn't noticed why the re-ordering of my oil list bothered me, so I didn't mention it, but now that dibbles has pointed this out, this is absolutely what I do too - my recipes wouldn't work easily if the program was changing my entry order (of oils and additives too).

I have been working on a method for handling additives, so I'll be writing that up onto the forum fairly soon, hopefully.

Once I've got my login working, I'll post the detailed notes I've made since the last post :)

10. Nov 15, 2018 #70

earlene

earlene

earlene

I agree, SaltedFig & dibbles, it is annoying when a calculator re-orders my oil entries into the default alphabetical order. It happens so much I have learned to print preview and print before saving whenever possible. (I don't know if that would be possible with this program or not, as it is not now an option.) But if I didn't have to figure out some way to get around the default listing, it sure would be nice.

Yes, it would be nice if the calculator would let us either say 'yes' or 'no' to printing to the default listing. Or maybe 3 print options, which I list in descending order of how I favor them:

1. As entered by user (print in the order in which the user entered them on the form to begin with) -
    2. Percentage of oils in descending order
    3. Alphabetical listing of oils (least preferable in my opinion)

11. Nov 15, 2018 #71

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have to think that adding the time and date section will only make it more likely a second page will be necessary for printing. It seems that people who want that level of detail could put it in the notes section like you did. Or it could be an option to include after the notes section so that would be what would be printed on a second page. Just a thought.

12. Nov 20, 2018 #72

cherrybleach

cherrybleach

cherrybleach

Supporting Member

I agree with @earlene, @SaltedFig, and @dibbles about the custom ordering of the oils list! Most often I like to list hard oils first.

Comments
    1. Custom Additives section
    Running into the same issue as @earlene regarding measurement notation defaulting to "ml" after reloading a saved recipe instead of preserving original measurement notations.
    Saved before reloading:[​IMG]
    Saved after reloading:
    [​IMG]

2. Print Page
    Using Chrome, the print page still hides the header and footer.
    [​IMG]
    3. Notes section
    -Could the text editor default to using single line breaks for carriage returns, as I believe this forum's text editor does, rather than defaulting to 2 lines <p></p>?
    -And/or could an html button be added to the text editor?
    [​IMG]
    4. Multiple tabs for view/print recipe?
    Soapcalc allows for "View or print recipe" to be opened in multiple tabs, facilitating the comparison of fatty acid profiles and soap properties for multiple versions. Any way to include a similar feature?

Example from SoapCalc:
    [​IMG]

5. Maybe add a "total" field to the "print page" water/lye section?
    [​IMG]

I love love the direction of the layout of the print page! I usually use SoapCalc and resizing the additives/notes sections and dealing with the borders of the print page is exasperating. Soapee's print page is okay but a bit too stark, and I alway need to resize it because it prints HUGE.

Also love the add photo option.

Have skimmed the earlier threads and you guys have put so much work into this, thank you.

Edit: added images

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  13. Nov 20, 2018 #73

KimT2au

KimT2au

KimT2au

You bet they die Supporting Member

Hi, I have started using the lye calc on a regular basis and there are a number of things I really like about it. For example, I love that it automatically orders my oil in descending order of use, it makes it so much easier if you were thinking about labels. I adore the add ins, they are great although I am not sure why citric acid is listed 4 times. The petty thing that I am not happy with is if I take an existing recipe and change it's ingredients and change it's name it simply over writes the old recipe rather than asking me if I would like to save it as a new recipe (don't ask me how I know this).
    However, and this is a biggie, and possibly the reason I had a 2kg batch fail the other day there seems to be some sort of calculation error going on when you select "resize batch to fit mould". If you see the first two photos I have selected the resize option and and then look to the right, it tells me there are 889g of oils (ignore sodium lactate etc, I added those in to see if they were screwing things up maybe). However, when you go to the next photo is the next part of the screen you see that the oils actually show they total 1307g not the 889g shown in the summary. The photo after that shows the amount of liquid added to the batch.

Photos showing when resize batch is selected:
    01.PNG 2.PNG 2a.PNG

The next two photos show the that when the resize batch button is turned off then the summary on the right now matches the totals for the oils shown lower on the page The photo following shows the liquid and batch total when resize is not chosen. I guess the moral of the story was I should have gone and checked my batch info elsewhere until this calculator is up and running, but I did not as I like it so much.

Photos showing when resize is not selected:
    3a.PNG 3a.PNG

Attached Files:

• 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      243.1 KB
      Views:
  14. Nov 23, 2018 #74

emi

emi

emi

I'm a new soaper. Maybe 25-30 batches so far over about a 2 year period. I have always used soapcalc.net but it's down now. I've tried others and not liked them. So far Soapmaking Friend does everything I liked about soapcalc.net plus more! I particularly like that I can see the recipe results on the same page unlike soapcalc. I only had one issue with it, but I think it's good now. It wouldn't let me save recipes. After clicking on "save" it would change to "saving" and never turn to "saved". The new recipes I was trying to save would never show up under "load recipes". However, after that happening throughout about a week's time, everything worked in just this last hour! But I'm not trusting it so saving everything elsewhere. I'll keep trying it.

Would it be silly (or not possible) to want a calc to tell you how long a particular CP recipe would take to cure?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  15. Nov 24, 2018 #75

Hannah Felton

Hannah Felton

Hannah Felton

So I've done the same recipe in SoapCalc and in Friend and I think Friend is already friendlier :D.

I would like to be able to label the liquid used (today I'm making coffee soap). I would also love to see an area in fragrances to add additional fragrances (maybe by percentage, like 50% coffee, 50% vanilla, or whatever) and have it tell me how much of each. As a brand new soaper, and a not so brand new soaper, I still have no idea why the longevity/cleansing/etc scales are numbered the way they are. Can't we just have like a ten scale or am I the only one confused by the scales? Like a soap with an 8 out of 10 longevity makes more sense to me than a soap with a 23 out of 25 - 50.

I would also like to see a total column on the print out for liquid and lye, I usually weigh it all again together to satiate my paranoia.

For errors, I can't reset my password, the link in the email just redirects to the main page. I also clicked on the resend activation link button and it told me I didn't have permission to do that.

I've also gotten the activation link notice at the top of my printed page from Chrome.

16. Nov 25, 2018 #76

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Thanks for putting this calc together! I started using it today and so far, so good! I too have the problem @earlene mentioned: when I reload my saved recipe, the additives show up in ml instead of tsp. Also the fragrance shows up in g/kg and I can't change the latter back to oz/lb.

17. Nov 25, 2018 #77

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Supporting Member

OK, please remember that I am not only trying to navigate around all of the variables of soap making, but also all the ins and outs of how and where to find things on this forum... LOL, I just found this thread and I had posted that I would be interested in helping to test the soap calculator... but... I cannot even find the link for the calculator. ("please do not think I am stupid, please do not think I am stupid")
    Help, please. Is it too late? Can I still assist with testing it?

18. Nov 25, 2018 #78

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Hi Kelly
    The link is on page 1 of this thread! Enjoy :)

19. Nov 25, 2018 #79

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Earlier post of mine mentioned the 'resize recipe to fit mold size' not seeming to work correctly. Tried again today and still seemed to give wrong capacity 'till I turned off the resize button and all the calculations in the right hand pane miraculously corrected themselves!
    Now I know how to use it :)
    And I now can log in ok and save recipes!
    My now go to calculator,
    Well done, guys.

Yooper likes this.
  20. Nov 27, 2018 #80

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

I used it last week to make my tallow soap bars, and I liked it! I threw citric acid at it, coconut milk, and whatever else I could think of- and it worked great!
    I think I'd like to have a way to 'name' our liquids like the coconut milk, and take it out of the liquid total, but otherwise it worked really well for me.
    Any other input?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.