SoapmakingFriend.com: Take 3!

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Yooper, Oct 29, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 9, 2018 #41

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Chris_S, my guess is the listing is based on brand name because it's the only way to reliably identify actual content. There is no guarantee that all vegetable shortenings by every manufacturer would use the exact same formulation, and therefore the saponification values would not be consistent.

And, yes, although Walmart is a company based in the US, it does sell internationally and can be found in many other countries, not just the US (27 countries, to be exact). In the UK, WalMart is called ASDA and might look like this:
    [​IMG]

2. Nov 9, 2018 #42

earlene

earlene

earlene

Two other comments/suggestions:

1. Under the mold size calculating area, it would be preferable not to use either abbreviation, IMO. English is my first language, and even I had to stop and think, 'what is rect?', but for folks whose primary language is not English, these abbreviations may not be self-evident. It looks to me like widening the drop-down box for mold shape just a few characters, the whole words would fit without extending the rest of the frame and would not displace anything else. At least on my monitor, it wouldn't. I have no idea how it actually looks on my tablet. I should give that a look soon.

2. Speaking of language, is it possible in the future, once you have found the perfect design, to incorporate a few translations of the form? Mendrulandria is one such calculator that has multiple language options and I tend to recommend it to folks who struggle with English, but it would be nice to have another to recommend as well.

3. Nov 9, 2018 #43

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

Perhaps when it's closer to finished people here might volunteer Translate
    Edit unfortunately I only speak English

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  4. Nov 9, 2018 #44

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

I know asda well and was aware wal mart owned it hawever are actually selling it to another supermarket in england but i was meaning like a globally popular brand rather than just a bargain wal mart specific brand. there seems to be very little information online about the ingredients of veg shortening having reseached it i fully understand where you are coming from however at the time i just assumed that they would be say 90% the same with small variations. so how do i go about accuratly using veg shortening in soap if the only option i can choose is something i cant buy? is there a way to input the ingredients or maybe the things that differ into the calc?

5. Nov 10, 2018 #45

Arimara

Arimara

Arimara

Supporting Member

I just soaped with a recipe I made using this calc. I'll probably make it public soon enough. My only gripe right now is that everytime I go to update the recipe, The 'update' button stays in a submitted state, if you will. It might be a minor thing but if it were to it's previous state, like how the print button is, it would be less confusing for some folks like myself, who can be a little scatterbrained and forget to save our info.

Attached Files:

6. Nov 10, 2018 #46

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

it is by design , it is disabled because the current recipe is already saved .. This should be enabled when you make any change to the recipe , doesn't it ?

Arimara likes this.
  7. Nov 11, 2018 #47

Arimara

Arimara

Arimara

Supporting Member

I should emphasize, I be being nit-picky. You can still save again if you need to update your recipe more. It just trips me up that once I press the save button, it shows as "saved" with a check and does not reset to just "update".

8. Nov 11, 2018 #48

Saponificarian

Saponificarian

Saponificarian

When I try to print my recipe with notes, it doesn’t print with my added notes.

Attached Files:

9. Nov 11, 2018 #49

steffamarie

steffamarie

steffamarie

Nit-picking: if you forget your password, the prompt that asks you to try again in 15 minutes needs some correction.

"You can Only Have 5 Wrong Login attempts on 15 Minutes , Please try Again Later"
    should say something like
    "You have exceeded the number of login attempts allowed. Please try again in 15 minutes, or follow the 'Forgot Password' link to reset your credentials."

10. Nov 11, 2018 #50

AKelly75

AKelly75

AKelly75

DIY Nerd

I, too, am experiencing this. Also, any additives I input are not in the Additives section when I print.

For those who have tested this out over various browsers, do you find that using Google Chrome is more glitchy overall (I know at my work that I sometimes can't get into things using Google Chrome, but don't have trouble using something else)? What browser do you find works best?

I am thrilled to find something that reflects my thoughts on an "ideal" soap calculator. The creator has done a phenomenal job on this!

Chris_S likes this.
  11. Nov 12, 2018 #51

earlene

earlene

earlene

1. Not being able to enter actual numbers into the amounts is rather annoying and using the arrow buttons takes a lot more time than what I like to spend using a soap calculator.

2. Use of decimal points for measurements is really quite necessary IMO, but not an option. It really should be an option to use decimal points in measuring: oils, fragrances, lye concentration, as well as percentages and anywhere else we may need to enter numbers.

To answer AKelly, I have only tested it on FF so far. Testing on multiple browsers is definitely important, of course.

For Chris:S:
    First, I would not assume that globally any given vegetable shortening would be 90% the same as the rest. Given the price differences for source fats in different countries where they may manufacture the shortenings, making the most cost-effective shortening in any given locale would depend on the costs of the fats. Formulas change even for Crisco periodically based on cost factors and the availability or 'acceptability' of certain fats. For example, when some areas or countries went 'trans-fat' free, the industry had to adapt by providing other fats to restaurants. When they had to do that, they also had to offer trans-fat free shortenings (and other cooking oils) to the general public as well. So formulas change for different reasons, regionally and globally.

Second, Good question about another globally popular brand. I have no personal knowledge of any other globally popular brands, besides Crisco myself. I wonder if any of the international calculators out there have that data in their database? The only one I have ever used is Mendrulandia and it only lists Crisco.

As for how to use any shortening accurately in soapmaking, you'd have to know the make-up of the shortening. There are ways to determine more-or-less the approximate percentages of which fats by reading and analyzing the nutritional information on the labels. Algebraically it can be determined if the correct information is on the label. Buried somewhere in the SMF forums this has been discussed in the past, but I don't have any of that bookmarked & don't really recall exactly how it's done. If I run across that information, I'll be glad to send you a link or point you the right direction.

So far with a Google search of our site, I'm finding this:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...lue-from-a-products-fatty-acid-profile.64572/

ETA: Here's another one that describes how to determine a reasonable sap value for mixed oils based on the nutritional values on the label:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soaping-with-unknown-oil.59829/

So far that's all I'm finding that specifically addresses this topic, although I am sure there are other posts, but I just can't find them right now.

Elsewhere on the web, I am finding these much more detailed and geared toward science labs:
    http://vlab.amrita.edu/?sub=3&brch=63&sim=688&cnt=2
    https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/i560117a010?journalCode=iecac0
    https://www.scribd.com/document/260747964/Determination-of-Saponification-Value-of-a-Fat-or-Oil

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    NsMar42111 likes this.
  12. Nov 12, 2018 #52

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

@earlene your asking me to do maths? i have read your post and thank you but because its kinda long winded as a result of being very informative ill have to read it a few times to fully take in everything you have mentioned enough to figure out exactly what i need to do. But when i said about assuming they were 90% the same that was before i had really put any thought or research into it once i had done that i had realised that wasnt right.

As for the calc iv just gone on and i regestered via facebook when i first used it and its saying i cant log in via facebook and so i just cant use the calculator unless i dont save or use someone elses recipe also i cant find my saved recipes which i think i made them public.

13. Nov 12, 2018 #53

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Just used 'resize recipe to fit mold size' and think I'm getting an incorrect measurement. My mold size is 28.4cm x 15.8cm x 6.8cm which by my calculation comes to 3051, making weight of batch about 3kg. The soap calculator is showing mold capacity 2111.48.
    Am I missing something?

14. Nov 12, 2018 #54

earlene

earlene

earlene

Yes, math is involved. You could just risk it and enter your shortening as one of the ones listed in a calculator, but that's really risky if you don't know of the make-up of the shortening. I've done it before and the soap came out fine, but I made a guess that the shortening sold by a store in my town was 'maybe' similar in percentage content to the one I chose. If the soap hadn't turned out, I would have learned not to do that. But in the end, I can't really know how close the resulting SF actually was or if the SAP value was even close. I just know in that case it seemed to work. But I wouldn't expect it to work if I bought a shortening listing some other ingredient not listed on the brands listed in the calculator.

I believe that Facebook made some changes recently allowing users to turn off and on the option of signing onto third party apps. I don't use FB for signing into anything because I prefer keeping FB and other apps separate. This may help explain how to get to the settings in FB as it relates to your third party apps logins: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/310694

15. Nov 14, 2018 #55

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

think im just going to stick to palm oil thanks for the help and information though.

16. Nov 14, 2018 #56

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Double check that the mold capacity option is checked coz sometimes it gets stuck in oils total even when the dimension fields are showing... Happened to me several times ;)

17. Nov 14, 2018 #57

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

I'm not logged in a the moment, and I can't see an option to name the recipe (this is available in soapcalc, and means even a temporary recipe can be named for printing and/or filing).

Is it possible to have the default value for additives to be in grams if a metric system of measurement is used?
    (I don't use teaspoons to measure beeswax or sugar or cocoa butter or any other additive, including charcoal powder).

I can't seem to get the password reset to work - I cut and paste the link, as instructed in the email, but it just resolved back to the first page (without going through any account and password setting or entering process).

18. Nov 14, 2018 #58

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Nope...still doing same. Open up soap calculator and change last default box to 10, same as others in cm, should read 1000 but reads 699.

19. Nov 14, 2018 #59

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I haven't had any time to play with the calculator lately, but finally did last night. One thing that I notice is that when the oils are set to ounces, the default in the Fragrances (which seems to my mind should just be Fragrance - singular) Section is 30 ounce/lb. It's easy enough to change it, but the default should be .5 ounce or 1 ounce. As well, it would be especially helpful to new soapers if this stated PPO or batch weight. I would like to see a % of total batch weight option as that is how most FOs are rated.

@SaltedFig there isn't an option to name the recipe, which I agree would be nice.

When I add my oils to the list, I like to add the hard oils first so I can weigh them together and melt before adding my liquid oils. The calc automatically lists the recipe in descending % order. If there was a way to make this an option and keep the list as added, that would be my preference for the way I soap. It is more useful for me to have the solid oils together than to know I am using more olive than castor oil for example. This is not a deal breaker though.

I added Sodium Citrate as a custom additive. As it stands, I still have to manually figure the amount and add that in. A percentage of oils and batch weight option here would be nice. I think some people calculate sodium lactate usage by percentage as well.

The one thing that remains a deal breaker for me is if the recipe prints on two pages. I noticed that the Custom Additives Section and the Additional Ingredients Section are listed separately down the page. If these two sections could be arranged to sit side by side (Custom Additives on the left and Additional Ingredients on the right, sharing the same line space for example), this would leave more room in the notes section, which for me personally is more desirable. The recipe I created last night had 3 custom additives and one additional ingredient, and the notes were pushed to a second page. In the notes section, I always list the FO or EO used, usually the colors I am planning to use, design idea if applicable and the mold I am using. This doesn't have to be more than what is available for a notes section now; I would just want it all on one page. I would rather make note of my Additional Ingredients in the notes section than have a two page recipe.

20. Nov 14, 2018 #60

MadTeddyBear

MadTeddyBear

MadTeddyBear

Supporting Member

This is a bug that was reported a few days ago. To work around it after you put in the measurements uncheck the resize option and it'll fix itself. It'll use the 2111.48 as the oil total and you'll get around 3kg batch size.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.