SoapmakingFriend.com: Take 3!

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Yooper, Oct 29, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 4, 2018 #21

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

SF15/ The masterbatch fields are not vertically aligned:

R3 SF5 Vertical alignment of masterbatch numbers.png

Yooper likes this.
  2. Nov 4, 2018 #22

ibct1969

ibct1969

ibct1969

My first time using this, and I'd like to say thank you for the hard work that went into putting it together. I have a couple of questions; I hope I'm not repeating them - as mentioned by others above I haven't had time to read through the posts.

I don't see "Creamy" under Properties. Is that by design?
    Is "Add with Liquid" supposed to imply adding the "Additives" to the lye mixture? When adding Tussah Silk for example, I add it to the water then add the lye.

3. Nov 5, 2018 #23

reinbeau

reinbeau

reinbeau

Lifetime Supporter

Lye solution. In the end, no matter what the medium is, it's a solution.

Yooper and SaltedFig like this.
  4. Nov 5, 2018 #24

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Loving the new calculator, the choice of oils is better (rabbit fat? ) than the one I use (thesoapcalclator.com).
    A bit off topic, but recently I've been trying to use and adapt excel spreadsheets for costs and sales (I'm looking to start maybe selling my soaps next year) with a bit of success, but would it be beyond the knowledge of our fantastic and intelligent membership to create a program similar to soapmaker 3? I would rather pay into the coffers of this forum if there was a cost involved.
    What do you lovely people think?

TeresaGG likes this.
  5. Nov 5, 2018 #25

reinbeau

reinbeau

reinbeau

Lifetime Supporter

I think - if anyone can come up with a more comprehensive program than SM3 they should go for it. I hope they also match the responsiveness of the developer, who is also a member here on SMF. It's one man who developed the program.

AKelly75 and Misschief like this.
  6. Nov 5, 2018 #26

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Didn't realize the developer was a member! Obviously, I wouldn't want to effect his/her business, was just a thought. Maybe just a basic one or a taster before committing to buying a more expensive product.

7. Nov 5, 2018 #27

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

No, I have no idea why 'creamy' is left off! We'll have to fix that.

Yes, the "add with liquid" is awkwardly phrased. I don't know how else to phrase it, though. "Lye solution" is a great way to phrase the liquid/lye mixture but sometimes I add something (like the silk) to the water, then the lye and then maybe the sugar. So it'd be nice to have a way to set that up that isn't confusing.

8. Nov 5, 2018 #28

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

All of the recipe saving issues should be solved now. Thanks for all the reports.

Anything else to report? How's it looking for everyone now?

9. Nov 5, 2018 #29

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

Any suggestions for a recipe search, and a public database and what you'd like to see happen? What sort of features would you like to see added to make the search work for you?

10. Nov 5, 2018 #30

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

At soapee, you can mark your recipe as private, public, or visible to friends. I like the idea of being able to share recipes. A lot of those public recipes are from new soapers just learning how to use the tool. As a former newbie, I like how soapmaking friend has a list of preset recipes to choose from when I load a recipe. As a more experienced soaper, I'm not sure I would sift through a public database for a new recipe so much. However, I like the idea of being able to exchange recipes, especially with a friend. So, I guess that would count as a "yes"? I think it would be neat to have an easy way to share recipes for sure. I have a beginning soapy friend who would like me to pass them on to her. Also, when a new soaper requests a recipe here at the forum, it would be cool to be able to direct them to the calculator for a specific recipe. Did that make sense? It ended up being more words than I had intended. :D

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  11. Nov 6, 2018 #31

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

That sounds like an excellent idea artemis!

(Maybe it would work best if the default setting was private, with an option to share/make public, to combat the proliferation problem you have identified :))

Yooper and artemis like this.
  12. Nov 6, 2018 #32

KimT2au

KimT2au

KimT2au

You bet they die Supporting Member

I used the calc yesterday really loved it. Once it is bug free it will definitely be my go to calculator. I loved being able to include my additives in the recipe rather than having to type them in manually. However, I did make copious notes but could not get them to print when I printed the recipe. I use goggle chrome.

13. Nov 6, 2018 #33

M1A10X

M1A10X

M1A10X

Lifetime Supporter

I believe I saw a field for resizing a recipe, but I can't find it any longer. Also, could we add chia seed oil to the oils?

14. Nov 6, 2018 #34

M1A10X

M1A10X

M1A10X

Lifetime Supporter

Also, could we offer users a choice of whether a recipe is public or private?

15. Nov 6, 2018 #35

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Hello , Thank you for you great feedback .. while almost all bugs/ issues were addressed ( will do more testing today ) .. we are working on adding new features and working on your great suggestions to improve the product .
    we have reworked how recipes are saved / edited / updated / loaded .. please do more testing and let me know if you still have issues in this scope
    Note ( some changes may be backward incompatible .. so you may find few issues working with Recipes created before this update )
    Thank you!

16. Nov 6, 2018 #36

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

Yes, we have that:
    public.png

17. Nov 6, 2018 #37

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I think I still encountered several.
    I used the calc probably about 4hrs before typing this.... I saved a recipe, loaded it back up and the following things happened:
    1. Once again my mold capacity switched to oils total, and also back to default 500
    2. Lye went back to ratio when I had set it to % liquid as percent of oils
    3. Superfat added after the cook became unchecked
    4. In additives, everything changed back to ml, including the presets, and the amounts disappeared for all of them.

I always write down what results I get, that's how I know that when I loaded up the recipe a lot of the numbers changed, for everything.

Could it be my browser cache? But I just cleaned it last week, to see if the calc wants to remember me now but I still have to login each time lol

18. Nov 7, 2018 #38

MadTeddyBear

MadTeddyBear

MadTeddyBear

Supporting Member

Dimensions.JPG

For the "Resize your recipe to fit mold size?"option the "Mold Capacity" and "Oils Total" fields need to use separate input boxes. Right now there will always be something wrong with that section regardless of how you use it.

The example above is the same dimensions as Nurture Soap's 2.5lb mold which is advertised to hold 31.5oz of oil.

If you set the dimensions then the mold capacity is set to what should be the oil weight, 31.5oz and then the recipe is calculating the total batch weight to match, which is more than half a pound short of what you should get out of the mold.

If you set the mold capacity then the calculator to 40oz will correctly calculate the recipe for a that batch weight, but it will populate the dimensions of the mold incorrectly, in this case adding .75in to the height.

Also the formula for calculating for cylinder molds is wrong. It seems to be doing r x h x pi x .3, when it should be r^2 x h x pi x .4. I haven't looked at the metric calculations.

19. Nov 9, 2018 #39

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

My apologies if these items have already been addressed. I've been traveling and only recently returned, so have not caught up on reading what I have missed.

1. My first thought using the calculator this morning is that I often use decimal points in percentages of oils and sometimes in lye concentration and don't see that as an option here. A decimal point option would be quite useful if I want to reproduce recipes I already use regularly.

2. Thank you for adding the feature that includes recalculation of the recipe based on mold size. However, if you could also add in a method for re-calculating based on odd shaped molds. Some are not rectangular or cylinders. In some cases, such as when using multiple shape molds (6 or more odd shapes per tray, for example) folks use a total volume method for measuring how much water the molds in total. See this reference for how that's done (section 03.)

20. Nov 9, 2018 #40

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

not really an issue as such more of a query. iv just been researching using veg shortening insteaad of palm oil as a vegitarian and vegan option but the only one i can find on the list is walmart gv shortening i googled it and it doesnt say anything about it being veg shortening. is there an option im missing maybe because its using an american brand or just managed to miss on the list. if i have missed it because of brand name could it be added as veg shortening aswell as the brand name i understand that alot of the people who use this forum are american but these brands need researching to some non americans and makes the using of a soap calc that bit more of a lenghty process thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.