SoapmakingFriend.com: Take 3!

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Yooper, Oct 29, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 29, 2018 #1

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

We've addressed the issues from the first two threads on the soapmaking calculator. If you're still with us, we're ready for thread #3. The other threads have gotten quite large and unwieldy to follow, and we've made quite a few changes from your critiques and requests.

The URL is; https://www.soapmakingfriend.com/

If you would please post any issues with:

• Any bugs or weird results
    • Visual problems with the layout/print page.
    • Any complaints
    • Any features to add

Screen shots are a huge help in resolving issues.

suitedreemz and NsMar42111 like this.
  2. Oct 29, 2018 #2

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

One thing we need is some options on when to add additives/ingredients.
    For example:
    'at trace'
    'after cook'
    'with oils'
    'with water/lye liquid' - how to phrase that one? If you're using beer, for example.

Another thought I had was sometimes I use water to dissolve the lye, and then add goat's milk at trace. How would you like to see that on the recipe? Do you need it in order of addition, or do you want things shown with "oils" together, "liquids" together, etc?

BHFSuz and NsMar42111 like this.
  3. Oct 30, 2018 #3

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

I have just given it a bit of a test run. I noticed that when I used some additives, in the drop down bit I selected "add at trace"

However when my recipe generates, it seems to only be stuck on "add with the fats"

4. Oct 30, 2018 #4

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I for one, want an "after the cook" option hehe.. Also maybe it should just say "add to lye solution?"

I also would probably prefer to see things I order. Will help newbies like me develop a system..

Oh btw, I may have caught it in between fixes but has anyone noticed numbers changing in the results?
    See my notes, before I went to get water:
    _20181030_133907.JPG
    You can see I started copying out 18% cocoa, 13% Shea and 30% olive oil and corresponding weights.
    I go back to the calc after the glass of water and see:
    _20181030_125328.JPG
    The same percentages have changed the amounts slightly.

I'm trying to replicate this, but it has happened to me once before and I just thought I had misread. But twice?

5. Oct 30, 2018 #5

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

Ok the additives/additional ingredients is being glitchy.

I just created a standard recipe - lard, olive oil, coconut and castor. Saved it as a "plain" bar.
    I then created another recipe the same, with honey and oatmeal. Saved it as "honey and oatmeal"

Now when I load my "plain" recipe it has honey and oatmeal added to it.
    When I remove them, it also removes them from my "honey and oatmeal" recipe.

I then tried a completely new recipe and even though I added honey and oatmeal on the left side, it wasnt showing up in the recipe on the right.

Using the "clear recipe" option isnt clearing those additives, and I also have to use the clear button twice - the recipe disappears and then flashes back. It stays cleared the second time

6. Oct 30, 2018 #6

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

Thank you for the reports- I will add them to the list.

7. Oct 31, 2018 #7

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

I was thinking about how I use soapcalc- I have to type in replacements for water or additions under "additives" and make notes.

Sometimes I use frozen goat's milk instead of water to mix my lye. Sometimes I use 1/2 water and then add the other half of the liquid as condensed beer at trace (or to the lye).

I'd like to see that reflected in the calculator. But how? It seems like it could be even more confusing. Does anybody else think it would be nice to have those options?

BHFSuz likes this.
  8. Oct 31, 2018 #8

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Maybe find a way to "label" liquid used, if it isn't water for a full replacement? Like, tick if using another liquid and then options to type percentages.
    And maybe if partial replacement, if you type in a number other than 100%, something like the results for sodium lactate in parentheses... Could say total liquid (not including goat milk) or something like that..

I think I confused even myself lol but I hope you understand me? Might be a pain to code though.....

9. Oct 31, 2018 #9

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I noticed I'm not able to load saved recipes except the first one on the list. Anyone else encountered this? I have four saved, and if I try loading the 2nd to 4th only the first shows up..

10. Nov 1, 2018 #10

LionLady

LionLady

LionLady

Supporting Member

It seems that Dawni is having the same thing happen...

Okay. I've been using this for a bit now. I'm not quite adept at any of the soap calculators, so bear with me.

I had loaded (saved?) about 5 recipes in my account. I've been puttering around with ingredients, saving/naming each recipe, and now when I try to load any of them, they seem to load as the same recipe, no matter which one I click to "load." What's happening? I'm really confused. It isn't a huge deal for me, because I always print out what I just created, so I can go back to the piece of paper. I'm just trying to figure out how the loading/saving thing works.

I don't have a good place to park my laptop in my soaping/craft room, so I've just always done the calculations upstairs, printed out the recipe, then headed down to my craft space.

11. Nov 1, 2018 #11

Deborah Long

Deborah Long

Deborah Long

Lifetime Supporter

Still prints funky in Google Chrome. I used percentages today and notice that on the recipe side I get Pounds or Grams as my choice, but no ounces. All three would be nice, if possible. (yes, I want it all! lol)

12. Nov 1, 2018 #12

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

I reported this. Thank you!

Can you give a screenshot? Mine is in ounces and grams.

13. Nov 2, 2018 #13

Deborah Long

Deborah Long

Deborah Long

Lifetime Supporter

soapmakingPounds.png
    I do see that if I click on "Ounces" under Mold Capacity, it changes... DOH! I didn't know the mold capacity, however, and had entered it in, never paying attention to that part... It does show in ounces AND grams.

When I clicked to load the recipe I had saved, however, it loaded an older one... as did ALL of my saved recipes...

14. Nov 2, 2018 #14

M1A10X

M1A10X

M1A10X

Lifetime Supporter

Forgive me if this has been discussed--I haven't been able to keep up with all posts. I'm wondering if we might build in something (not sure exactly where) so the system offers feedback on where our recipe falls in terms of what is considered a balanced/typical acid profile? Also wondering if it would be way too labor intensive to add what is "typically recommended" for additives?

15. Nov 2, 2018 #15

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

its also not letting me load any new recipes and i made up a recipe earlier when i wasnt logged in so i logged in and the recipe had vanished so made it up again then it appeared later while logged in but hadnt been named just said time and date so guessing some sort of default save feature did this. But it only appeared under load after a few hours of the log in issue happening it didnt show it was saved right away and now iv gone back to it so i can check it to print it i can open any recipe except the top one.

Iv been playing about with the calc for about a week now see what its like and i like it its easy to use very clear love the search feature and the adding to a list todays issues are the only ones iv come across since using it

16. Nov 3, 2018 #16

LionLady

LionLady

LionLady

Supporting Member

Tried this morning to save a new recipe, but the only tab that appears now is "samples" - I'm guessing that the saved folder issue is now being addressed! Yay!

17. Nov 3, 2018 #17

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I'm trying to login but it won't let me. I haven't received any activation emails, either, even though I requested one twice. (Never mind... figured that one out)

I'm inputting a shave soap recipe and I'm looking at the custom additives. This one uses 11% oil weight of added glycerin after the cook (Silver Fox' recipe). I'm not sure how to add it in SMFriend, apart from adding it to the notes afterwards.

Hmmm.. is there a way of printing the notes along with the recipe or am I missing something?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  18. Nov 4, 2018 #18

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

Round 3!

(1) Liquid or Solid soap recipe
    Masterbatch toggle automation1/ Can an option to have purity for NaOH be added?
    Currently some soap calculators have purity for KOH, but none seem to have this for NaOH (which also comes in varying purities).
    The default value would be 100%

2/ Can the masterbatch toggles (for NaOH & KOH) be automatically selected when an attempt to increase the value is made?
    This one caught me out when I went to use the arrow to increase the masterbatch value - it won't automatically turn on when the arrows are clicked to change the ratio.

3/ For hybrid soap, the value fields for the masterbatch values aren't vertically aligned (by only a small amount) - this is visually unti

4/ Option to use lye concentration for masterbatching
    Could we add lye concentration (expressed as a percentage) for masterbatching?
    Lye concentration (percentage) is available for lye calculations but has not been made available for masterbatching (where ratio only is available).

Background:
    The maths involved in converting a lye concentration to a ratio is easy enough when the values are simple (like the 50% lye concentration example), but to express anything even slightly more complex (like a 52% lye concentration) would require either the ratio to be calculated ahead of time (risking math errors), or requires an extended entry (3 field selections, and two lots of number entry).

(2) Select recipe units of measure
    The value for "Mold Capacity"

When the "percentages" toggle is selected:
    5/ Can the value for "Mold Capacity" be displayed numerically, with comma's to mark thousands?

When the value is 1,000 or more, the display of three decimal points doesn't work - the third decimal point value is chopped off by the up and down arrows.

6/ It would make more sense to display whole units for grams (1/2 a gram of soap batter could be the amount stuck to my spoon - it is too precise for mold calculations).
    Note1: 3 decimal points suits kilograms
    Note2: I am not sure what suits the imperial measurements (ounces and pounds)

When the "percentages" toggle is selected AND the "Resize your recipe to fit mold size" toggle is selected"
    7/ "RECT" and "CYL" should be used (in place of "Rect" and "Cylin")
    Reason: The words shouldn't be capitalized like they are names ("Rect" looks quite ... odd, and CYL is the common abbreviation for cylinder, not "Cylin").

Alternative: Use descriptive words that fit the space (like "Box" and "Tube")

8/ Can definitions be added for the mold type?
    Eg. The definitions "Rectangle" and "Cylinder" be displayed when "RECT" or "CYL" is selected?

9/ The title "Shape" hasn't got the first letter in uppercase like the other mold size titles

10/ Can additional units of measurement be included for the length, width and height measurements?
    Reason: Millimetres (mm) as a unit of measurement is very common here and even a simple conversion like a decimal point change can lead to mathematical/human errors.

R3 SF3 Mold measurements in millimetres.png

11/ If mm and cm were available, that would be best, but if cm is the only option (as it is now) using the 3rd decimal place (10ths of a millimetre) as the increment is way too small (it's about the width of hair).

R3 SF2 Mold measurement decimal places.png

12/ When there are 6 digits or more in the mold capacity, they tend to get truncated
    R3 SF4 Truncated numbers in Units of measurement.png

When the "grams" toggle is selected:
    13/ Idea: Could we add the ability to enter a total weight of oils, and the total checked in the same way that percentages are checked against the total required value of 100%?

(6) Oils, Fats and Waxes
    Selected Oils
    14/
    Idea: Could we use the total field arrows (which are currently displayed, but not operative) to resize the oil weight (or percentage)?

R3 SF1 Resizing recipe size.png

To be continued ...

Yooper likes this.
  19. Nov 4, 2018 #19

Deborah Long

Deborah Long

Deborah Long

Lifetime Supporter

1. So, all of my saved recipes are gone, dang it! lol I only see a title "Sample Recipes"

2. There is no place in the calculator before printing to actually type something in the "Notes" section. That would be wonderful.

3. I saved this recipe before I printed it, hoping the 'title' of the soap would print also - no such luck.

3. Screen shot of glitchy printing from Google Chrome.
    printing from Chrome.png

20. Nov 4, 2018 #20

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

I was looking at the sample recipes, and I think that's a great idea. However, I do not think one of the recipes should be labeled "eczema" soap. I think we should be careful to not let newbies think their soap is going to cure or treat any kind of medical condition.

Scooter, NsMar42111, ibct1969 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.