Soapmaking without a stickblender

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femtobyte

Reaction score
I have switched to hand mixing from using a stick blender because i didnt like how much the blender splattered. I had a deep cardboard box that i put the crockpot in and would lean over.as careful as i tried to be it spit on box. With spoon it stays put. Would like better option.

I have switched to hand mixing from using a stick blender because i didnt like how much the blender splattered. I had a deep cardboard box that i put the crockpot in and would lean over.as careful as i tried to be it spit on box. With spoon it stays put. Would like better option.

What type of stick blender are you using and how full is the crockpot? Mine is usually only about half full at most and there is no splatter from the stick blender at all. I leave the stick blender at the bottom and kinda stir/blend at the same time. The one I've been using is an old Betty Crocker SB that I bought when they first came out many years ago.

I should preface this with I don't do a lot of HP. However, I do make my shave soap HP and I've never had an issue with splashing my soap. I make 2 lb batches. You need to keep the blender in the soap not on top of the soap to fling stuff.

I don't get splatter either, even when my pot is 3/4 full. Is it possible you're using the other kind of mixer with the two prongs (correct word)?

Or it could be you aren't reaching the bottom of the pot? Or you are accidentally lifting it while it's still on?

What type of stick blender are you using and how full is the crockpot? Mine is usually only about half full at most and there is no splatter from the stick blender at all. I leave the stick blender at the bottom and kinda stir/blend at the same time. The one I've been using is an old Betty Crocker SB that I bought when they first came out many years ago.
I don’t think I have it anymore to check, it was a cheap immersion blender I got at bimart, it tends to want to pull down to the bottom of crockpot. Crockpot is about half full, but maybe I could try a bigger one. I made hot process coconut bar soap yesterday and stirring it periodically for an hour worked fine. (Stirred for about 20 min, then rested 15, stir for 5, rest for 15, stirred again for a min or 2 and it was ready). I may try shortening the first stir to 10-15 min next time. Also will see if coconut/olive oil will work this way. Past experience is the coconut works best for me with hand stirring.

I don’t think I have it anymore to check, it was a cheap immersion blender I got at bimart, it tends to want to pull down to the bottom of crockpot.
You only posted about this 2 days ago, and you don't 'think' you have it anymore? This is confusing.
And pulling down to the bottom of the crockpot is what immersion blenders are supposed to do. You are supposed to keep them fully immersed, that way you don't get the splatter/splashing. I mean, yeah, you can hand mix if you want, but the batter will have to be at least emulsified if you don't want it to separate, and stirring by hand can take quite a bit of time.

Last edited:
You only posted about this 2 days ago, and you don't 'think' you have it anymore? This is confusing.

I switched to hand mixing a few batches ago. I am in middle of moving so have ditched a lot of stuff and packed other stuff. But ran out of soap so got out some of soap making stuff again. Love my homemade soap. I do try to keep it under the surface of soap when using stick blender. Maybe the one I had was too powerful. I just felt like I was scraping the ceramic up. But periodic stirring worked beautifully for me with this last batch, and the ph was perfect, so it is now an option for me in my book. I had made a couple batches prior that I stirred until it was getting thicker but wasnt to trace. I cooked it, and it worked, it didnt separate. It did take longer to cook, and it turned out drier.

I may in future try a stick blender again

Last edited:
Hand mixing is fine as long as you're sure you're getting to at least emulsion if not light trace. I've hand stirred Castiles and some brine soap the way you did, in intervals and they were fine. That's when I'm lazy to clean up the SB haha.

Latest posts

Back